VoLTE call quality on Verizon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mbhforum, Sep 26, 2014.

1. mbhforum macrumors 6502a

So I just enabled VoLTE and so far the call quality is awful! A lot of static. I had anywhere between 1 to 3 bars of LTE service. I realize this is new for Verizon. I am in the Long Island region. Anyone else experience this?

2. reverberlayed macrumors regular

I have Verizon and have tried VoLTE and it seems to sound good. I am just over the Long Island Sound in New Haven.

3. dcpmark macrumors 6502a

4. mac.cali macrumors 65816

I've tried it and seems good. However I still think it needs work. I noticed more dropped calls with VoLTE vs. CDMA. I'll wait till they iron on out bugs. But glad they are moving in the right direction.

5. mbhforum thread starter macrumors 6502a

This might also be a Bluetooth issue. I noticed in my 2010 BMW that the Bluetooth call quality has been terrible as well on my iPhone 6. I never had a problem with all of the previous generation models. I did see some other threads about Bluetooth audio issues on the 6 in various cars including BMW. Unfortunately, I cannot upgrade the firmware easily in my car since it's an older model.

Earlier I was on the phone with my wife over Bluetooth and VolLTE and the quality was awful. I changed back to CMDA and called her back and it was much improved. Just now, I made a call on the regular handset over VoLTE and it was fine, and then I tried over Bluetooth and it was full of static.

6. chevelleguy3 macrumors regular

I have been using it since launch day and the call quality seems to be really good. The only downside I have noticed is that if I'm in a building that would normally switch between LTE and CDMA due to signal, it will drop the call. If I'm outside or a known good LTE area, I haven't had any problems.

7. Ambush083, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014

Ambush083 macrumors regular

Ambush083

I'm going to buy a 'bumper' for my iPhone.

Seriously though, I will disable this for now. I want to experience Verizon's quality of service on the island to determine how good they are and this might hinder that. I came from T-Mobile and had no issues. I used to complain, but now my experience with Verizon is poor. Slow internet and dropped calls. So I'm going to go ahead and disable and see if my mileage varies.

I agree it's new tech for them so if my service improves by disabling it I will be happy for now.

8. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

I haven't noticed anything negative when it comes to normal VoLTE. It sounds the same to me.

And when I call my wife's iPhone 6 with HD voice, it is unbelievable how clear it is. HD voice is really something else.

----------

Does anyone know if you lose LTE coverage in the middle of a call and drop to 3g if the call will drop or if it will transfer?

9. supernet33 macrumors regular