VoLTE dropping calls

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mr409, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Mr409 macrumors newbie

Been with verizon for 4 years never had dropped call. Started using VoLTE on my iphone 6 and I am dropping calls inside buildings and on bridges. I have since turned off Voice Over LTE but now I can't surf and talk at the same time. I thought we were golden after Verizon turned on VoLTE. I use mobil hotspot a lot on the road but now it seems VoLTE has problems. My wife is also reporting dropped calls on VoLTE.

Is anybody having similar issue ?

2. CEmajr macrumors 601

The LTE network isn't quite as ubiquitous as the 1X network so dropped calls are fairly common with Verizon VoLTE, especially in buildings where it's harder for the LTE signals to penetrate. There's really nothing you can do other than to turn it off if you know you'll be going in a building where Verizon struggles to maintain an LTE signal. It will probably get better in the future as they improve their network.

3. kepler20b macrumors 6502

no but there was an article last month that said that volte --> LTE handoff could create this issue. try googling for that article. I think it was on one of the android sites.

4. Mr409 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes turning off voice over LTE fixes the problem but why did verizon bring out voLTE when it was not ready for prime time. I mean I am talking about using VoLTE inside city limits. I am not in the boonies.

5. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I don't know that your experience necessarily equates to VoLTE not being ready for prime time. A great way for a company to know the limits of their network is to turn features on and hear about the problem areas (from their customers).

Anyway, dropped calls on ATT were a realtively common occurance for a decent while. I can't recall the last call I dropped... maybe 2 years or so now. They've obviously added improvements which I don't think they could have done had they kept waiting and waiting to launch.

6. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

They didn't announce it. They haven't advertised it. And they've admitted that it's features are preliminary and in testing. It's not like they're Apple who used Siri as a selling feature for months while still calling it "Beta."

Relax and either use it or don't.

7. Jades macrumors 6502

8. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I thought I heard a train going by, but it turned out to be you tooting your own horn. My mistake.

Sell your UDP and switch carriers. Laughing at the plight of others only makes you look petty and narcissistic.

9. Mr409 thread starter macrumors newbie

you say verizon haven't advertised it ? that's complete B.S

Go to there stores and see a big ass poster saying now Talk and Surf at the same time on your iPhone 6.

Is that not advertising ?

10. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I avoid cellular provider stores like the plague, so I can't speak to that. I was referring to the fact that this feature was more or less "discovered" by the community and despite Verizon ads being all over the Internet & TV, this isn't a highly advertised selling feature. In fact, it's not even mentioned on Verizon's main page or iPhone page.

So compared to general iPhone/Motorolla propaganda,and XLTE and EDGE adverts, yeah, I'd say it's not "complete BS." But maybe that's just me.

11. kepler20b macrumors 6502

yup, found it.

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/08/26/verizon-volte-launch-details-hd-voice/

so it appears that the drop occurs when you go from LTE->CDMA

there is no fix for this, it's just how they built their network.

12. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

FWIW: I've been researching this further, and it turns out there IS a way to do it. Single Radio Voice Call Continuity (SVRCC) is what it's called, and Qualcomm claims it CAN be done with CDMA (see page 4 of the link).

So, it's possible. Verizon just hasn't bothered to spend the money.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes.
    Sounds like they rushed it out so they can finally be able to say the iPhone on their network can also now do voice and data.
    But at an expense of call reliability.
    Not be able to switch from LTE to 3G and having to drop the call is nonsense.
    It's like watching tv on high def and if you switch to a standard def Chanel your tv just shuts off:D

14. davewolfs macrumors regular

Verizons network can't handle the handoff from VOLTE to 3G. The only network that does this seamlessly is T-Mobile. AT&T has been slow to come to market because they are upgrading their hardware so that they can support the hand off from LTE to 3/4G.

Verizon for some reason thinks their LTE is good enough that they don't have to invest into upgrading their network in order to be able to do this (which is probably far from reality).

So far I haven't had any issues with Verizon VOLTE but most of my calls are based out of the same location.

15. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Just give it some time guys. VoLTE JUST came out. VZW uses all these complaints and then densifies their network accordingly. That's the point.

No amount of computer simulation or engineering can replicate every issue in the real world. Give it some time and it will be just like their 1x voice, rock solid

If VZW is having all these issues with their VoLTE, I can't even imagine how TMO users must be faring with their spotty network

Issues like this are probably why AT&T is launching VoLTE market by market and deploying it slowly.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes but with gsm networks if it switches back and forth from LTE to hspa+ 3G and to LTE again then there is no prob.
    You shouldn't need computer simulations or lots of engineering tests to figure out that you will have issues when you cannot keep a call when traveling from an LTE to a cdma tower.

17. Jades macrumors 6502

Left Verizon few months after that post. Never looked back. AT&T is amazing and when they launch volte in NYC I expect it to be just as rock solid as my LTE data connection

18. wxman2003 Suspended

Verzion is behind the 8 ball on VoLTE. Until Verizon grades all it's 3G towers to LTE, this problem will continue to persist. Their LTE network is sparse compared to their 3G network.

19. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

VoLTE has been working perfect in my area....I haven't seen the 3G icon in a couple of months...lol. I really enjoy the call quality, it really is better than CDMA, its not too big of a difference but it sounds better than fricken walky talk quality that I'm used to. Data + Voice at the same time was never a feature of LTE alone so I'm not sure the confusion there...you need to maintain VoLTE. LTE Coverage in my area is the same as 3G coverage....I remember waiting ages for LTE to get to where I live too...partially why I didn't get the iPhone 5 or any of the first LTE devices. ANyways VoLTE on VZW isn't fully past beta IMO, even Verizon seams to warn people about it so don't expect miracles where none are claimed...We survived on 1x CDMA calls we can survive a bit longer.

20. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

I remember this exact discussion about EDGE signals vs 1x not too long ago. I think I had to reflash my phone to get EDGE. Motorola bastards refused to enable the hardware in old phones so they could sell me phones. They went under for stuff like that. Apple should take note.

21. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

lol