Volume bit map needs minor repair

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Judeberg, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Judeberg macrumors newbie

Hi all, a couple nights ago while I was using my macbook it had a kernel panic. I had no choice but to shut down by holding down the power button. Ever since then, every time I've tried starting my mac, it goes as far as the startup screen with the apple logo and the spinning wheel and no further. Tonight I decided to boot from the startup disk and use disk utility and what I found is that the macintosh HD wasn't mounted. I tried mounting it but it said to use first aid then try again. So I tried to verify and repair the disk but it returned 'volume bit map needs minor repair'. I tried several times but the disk still has not been repaired. I also tried to mount the disk again but that also still does not work. Can anybody help? Thanks

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I'd get a copy of DiskWarrior and run that. It's great for repairing issues like that. It's $99, but well worth having around.

jW

3. Makosuke macrumors 603

Just to check, are you SURE it's actually stuck at the spinner? Did you let it sit there on that screen for, say, ten minutes before giving up? It's attempting to do a disk repair in the background, and sometimes that can take quite a while, so I've seen people force a shutdown assuming it was stuck.

Assuming that's not it, Disk Warrior is a nice enough program, but before spending $100 on repair software for a one-time use, try repairing the problems from Single User Mode--I've found that occasionally does better than Disk Utility when fixing things.

Turn on the computer with no optical disc inserted, but holding down the command and S keys; you should get a black screen with a command prompt after a bit.

If it hangs prior to the command prompt, you need to either try pro software or (preferably) reformat and restore from a backup. If not, type "fsck -yf" at the prompt (it suggests this above the prompt). It should attempt to fix problems. Once finished, type the same thing again. In serious cases it can take three or four passes to fix everything, so keep doing that until the message says that no problems were found or it doesn't look like you're getting anywhere (say, five tries).

If that fixes it, you're good. If not, again, I'd personally just erase the disk, reinstall the OS, and restore my files from a backup--something got hosed badly enough that I wouldn't feel safe even if a 3rd party program claimed to have fixed it. If you have no recent backup, THEN consider 3rd party software to salvage your data, and then immediately start doing backups once you're back in business.