Volume/brightness buttons dont work.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by johndavidwright, Nov 11, 2009.

1. johndavidwright macrumors member

My volume and brightness (both display and keyboard) buttons stopped working. I deleted front row out of the Applications folder and CoreServices folder. I rebooted and they started working again. Then I went and started streaming a movie on Netflix and now they aren't working. Any ideas?

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I had a similar problem a few weeks ago. It seemed to happen after I installed a beta version of some s/w - don't even remember what it was now, just that is was the only version advertised to work in 10.6. Ha.

Anyway, first I tried a regular reinstall of 10.6. No dice so I went nuclear & wiped my drive and did a clean install then reinstalled data, apps from my backup drive via Carbon Copy Cloner which did the trick. However DO NOT reinstall any user or system preferences or you will end up back at Point A. I'm sure there is an easier way, but I'm only a Level 2 Geek, so this was the path of least resistance for me.

3. dan5.5 macrumors 6502

There is a setting in the keyboard section of settings that disables the keys and makes them work like regular f keys. Take a look in there.

4. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Command-option-p-r at restart.
    Worked for me.