Volume Button as Shutter Button!! Please?!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by smarch, Jun 16, 2010.

1. smarch macrumors member

I know this is probably against the rules to repost what I said in another thread, but I'M DESPERATE! I beg forgiveness and leniency. I need to get the word out! I feel so small. I even tried emailing sjobs. help help help!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AudiA4 View Post
    "I'm not really surprised that Apple still didn't include a physical camera shutter button on iPhone 4 (for stills and video on/off) given their religious adherence to physical simplicity, BUT could Apple (or a third-party developer) provide a software update that would temporarily "reassign" one of the volume buttons as the shutter button only when the Camera or Video app is active? I absolutely HATE the soft button for the camera! It's the only thing on the whole touch-centric device that is a compromise to me."

ME:

I seriously, 100% and completely agree with you. I really believe in the touch screen. I love it for everything I do on there. I don't think physical keyboards are easier like some people keep crowing, but GOD, the on-screen camera button is SO EFFING TERRIBLE I CAN'T BELIEVE IT! It makes it so awkward to hold the phone and push the button. There is a level of deep-rooted frustration that pops up when using any piece of technology other than my iphone. The only time that frustrated feeling takes over with the iphone is when I have to use that on-screen button to take a picture. It's a pain in the ass, taking multiple pictures sucks, taking pictures quickly sucks, being unaware of my surrounding while i'm concentrating on threading the needle that is making sure i hit the button correctly sucks. It takes the fun out of photography, it takes the spontaneity away and negates the whole advantage of having a camera with you at all times. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, somebody beg, borrow, or kidnap steve into making the PERFECTLY POSITIONED-TO-BE-A-SHUTTER-BUTTON-IN-A-COMFORTABLE-AND-FUN-WAY-THAT-'JUST WORKS' VOLUME BUTTON INTO A CAMERA SHUTTER/VIDEO STARTSTOP BUTTON WHEN THE CAMERA APP IS OPEN

or at least give me the option. I did some looking and the Camera Zoom 2 app has this as an option. Anybody know of any others? I don't like being stuck using a 3rd party camera app as I'd rather use the one that apple designed to work best with their camera. Maybe I'm just paranoid about other camera apps taking longer, and taking worse pictures, but I really want apple to make this an option.

The problem is it seems like getting the word out there on this feature request seems very difficult. Maybe a lot of people don't really care, but i bet a ton of people would love this option if they tried it. I'm really glad you posted though. It shows me there's hope. Get the word out!!!!!!!!!

2. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Yeah, agreed. I can't see a good reason NOT to do this.

3. bmms8 macrumors 68020

4. jgmachine macrumors newbie

I would love this feature! But hopefully taking pictures of yourself won't be as hard since we have a front facing camera now... Are we able to take pics with that or does it only work for facetime?

Anyways, don't see why they couldn't make the volume button work as the shutter when in camera mode.

5. smarch thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I am excited about the front-facing camera. Yes, you can take pictures with it. They are lower quality I think, but definitely will be helpful for some applications.

6. rjstelling macrumors newbie

7. mrblack927 macrumors 6502a

mrblack927

The OP specifically said he didn't want to use a 3rd party camera app.

I too would like to see this feature someday. I've seen promising work done in the jailbreak community with patching system apps. Shouldn't be too hard to override this setting for the default Apple camera app once the iPhone 4 is jailbroken. :D

8. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

I agree the plus button should be able to be used as the shutter button. It would make it much easier to use when outside in direct sunlight (Even though the screen looks quite decent outside). Also for taking one handed portrait orientation shots, your thumb naturally rests on the plus button, stretching to touch the bottom of the screen makes the shot more unstable.

9. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

I'd love this. I hate the soft button for shutter actuation. The + key is in a perfect location for this.