Volume Button Fell Off 3GS

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Simm0nS777, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Simm0nS777 macrumors 6502a

I know theres been some threads on this and they were helpful, but I have a few questions that I havent seen answered.

To those of you that this happened to or that know about it. Is there anything I can do short of a new phone? Ive seen in previous threads that it can be glued back on but I'm kinda afraid to do that myself.

Someone said they took theirs to an iPhone repair shop (not sure if he just meant a regular repair shop) and got it fixed for $10. Is there anywhere I can do this?

Also, I'm now kinda pissed because I'm due for an upgrade right before the next iPhone and was looking forward to be able to sell my 3GS to cover the cost of the new phone. Anyone have an idea what a 3GS without volume buttons would go for? (jailbroken and unlocked) Im assuming it lost a lot of value.

Thanks guys!

2. Simm0nS777 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh and Im like 150 days out of my warranty so the apple store only said they could offer me a replacement for $199.

3. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

just glue it.. it's not rocket science.

but first...try calling Apple and see if they'll do something for you. i think this was a common issue, so maybe they'll help you

4. Simm0nS777 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I know its probably not hard but if I could spend 10 bucks and get it fixed so I dont even have a chance to **** it up id like that haha

what just use super glue and put it back on until it dries will keep it on there well?

5. kre62 macrumors 68000

I wonder if the genius you got was new or something. The replacement price for the iPhone4 is 199, the 3GS replacement cost is $79. Go back and tell him to check again.

6. Simm0nS777 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmm really? Maybe Ill go back again. At first I thought he was gonna be nice and replace it for free but finally said it would be a $199 replacement.

7. kre62 macrumors 68000

I just had a friend get a 3GS with no volume buttons replaced for free and he was about 6 months out of warranty. Sometimes if you get the right guy and are nice, they'll do it. If not, 79 bucks.

8. Simm0nS777 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I guess I'll make another genius appointment and see what happens. Thanks for the replies.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

9. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

If you're up to it, one on my enterprising co-workers had this same issue. Instead of gluing the button back onto the phone, he actually found a cheap silicone case (the kind that have the nubs on it for the volume switch) and glued the piece into the case itself. I LOL'd really hard when he told/showed me his work however, for the most part, it did "fix" his little issue for the time being. Fortunately, for him, he was able to get a refurb'd replacement for his phone even though his was out of warranty (guess he had a really friendly genius or something). While it may not be the permanent fix you're looking for, it did work so might be something you wanna try.

10. Simm0nS777 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Haha thats funny...I guess Ill just try and go back to the Apple store again and try my luck with another genius