Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MetalMatt24

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
I searched around but couldn’t find an answer. I just got a new M2 Pro 12.9
when the iPad is in landscape mode when you press the left volume button, instead of it going up it goes down. and when you press the right button the sound goes up. it’s totally backwards. Is there a work around for this or is it just how it is?

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
It goes according to the bar onscreen for the latest gen. (Left button makes bar move left/less volume, right button makes bar move right/more volume)I admit... it is pretty hard to get used to but once you use it for a while you might like it. If you don't like it then I remember there being a "reverse volume button" setting in Settings but I might be remembering wrong :|

Reactions: darngooddesign

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I've not heard of this being a thing on the iPad Pros. Though, I know that it's absolutely a thing on the 6th Generation iPad mini. That model will absolutely change which button is which volume operation (increase or decrease) depending on device orientation.

kby

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2011
M1 iPad Pros (12.9) you can still choose. M2 you cannot (no toggle in sounds preferences). I have access to both and it doesn’t matter the OS (after the ”feature” was introduced. I hate being forced to have it one way; not so much the fact that it can be dynamic, just that it has to be. In some sense makes no sense as it should be more difficult to implement dynamic in hardware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.