Volume control button fell off iPhone 3G. Options?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by JPIndustrie, May 31, 2009.

1. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

Hey all,

I have an iPhone 3G, and the volume control fell off the phone. I usually keep the phone in my pocket, or on my desk, in my bag, or in my car's cup-holder. I haven't dropped the phone recently, and I literally just looked down and noticed it was gone.

I don't drop the phone excessively, however I don't use a case and the phone's white, plastic back obviously has wear from almost a year of use. I do have a screen protector on it at least.

I made an appt at the Genius bar for this week, what should I expect?

2. aicul macrumors 6502a

Hopefully he will propose a free repair or exchange.

I do know that the new earphones with volume control also work on iPhone 3G so that may be a solution (albeit a little expensive in my eye).

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
  4. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

You're still under AppleCare, they should replace it no problem.

5. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Which ones do you mean? The in-ear ones don't (at least the volume part doesn't)

6. JPIndustrie thread starter macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

I am still under warranty so I hope so. I dislike confrontation. :(

7. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

You won't have confrontation unless there is noticable evidence that you have dropped the phone. If they find probable user neglect, they'll kick you and your volume-less iPhone out the door (metaphorically of course).

8. JPIndustrie thread starter macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

Haha. That's what I'm afraid of. The phone has the infamous cracks - but I thought all white iPhone's were affected by that?

The cracks certainly appeared without a drop or blunt force, that's for sure.

9. bjquach macrumors 6502

Don't worry. All their display iphones have cracks. If they say the cracks are a form of neglect, show them their own display iphones. Most of them have cracks near the charging port.

They will swap it out. Heck, I just told them my power button was recessed and they swapped one out for me.