Volume Control Dissapears

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by rockbox, Aug 3, 2009.

1. rockbox macrumors newbie

Very strange occurance with both my Touch (2nd gen with 3.0) and my wifes Touch (1st gen with 3.0).

My 3 year old daughter plays with them, and gives them back to us and the volume control has dissapeared. The ipod thinks it is hooked up to an external speaker and will not produce sound through the head phone jack. Usually if we give the ipod back to my daughter she "fixes" it.

It happened again to my Touch today, and when she couldn't "fix" it, I contacted Apple.

While waiting for them to call me back, I plugged my headphones in and then put it on a dock and it magically started to work again?

When Apple called me they stated that the volume control should never dissapear regardless of what my daughter pushes and that I should do a restore. I actually tried this once, and it didn't help.

Anyone else experience this, or know a fix?

Thanks.

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

The only thing I can say is that on a 1st gen touch this is a 'feature' of the 3.0 software - if there are no headphones or a dock plugged in the volume controls automatically disappear (because, why would you need to control the volume if there's nothing connected?). It's a bit odd that you say it's happened on the 2nd gen too though - because it has an inbuilt speaker it should always show the controls...

3. eliteneo macrumors member

put it in the freezer for a bit
    take it out
    it will break
    apple will fix for free

4. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

wow. they really didn't know what they were talking about. in 3.0 the volume bar disappears if nothing is inserted into the jack.

5. tucker61 macrumors regular

I have same issue with 2nd gen, but my daughter does not know how to fix it.
    I switch off and then back on and it then works.