Volume control for safari in Leopard!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by denotank, Sep 22, 2007.

1. denotank macrumors newbie

I'm tired of cruising around on Safari while listening to iTunes and having some website streaming music twice as loud and practically deafening me. Is there any chance that Leopard's version of Safari could have volume control (at least a mute button)? Why don't I find more people complaining about this!!!

2. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

There's a volume control and mute button on your keyboard.

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I don't think that's what they mean. I think they want to control the volume of Safari for when it plays music on websites, like you can in iTunes or VLC. Unfortunately I have not found a way to do this, although I would find it a very nice feature to have.

4. Schnebar macrumors 6502

like when I used to go on myspace and listen to itunes

every time I would go to a page I would have to find the pause button on their song so it wouldn't start blasting.

mute on safari would be a good idea.

5. portent macrumors 6502a

Oh, crap! Really?!! This is the most amazing thing evar!!!! A system volume control!

Seriously, the problem the original poster is talking about is that we want to hear the music from, say, iTunes, but not the random Flash background noise that some stupid websites play.

6. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

I understand that :)

Tell the webmasters that blast music automatically when you open their webpage.

7. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

One solution is to get an AirPort Express and use AirTunes to stream music from iTunes to your hifi or powered speakers. The sound level on the music is then determined by iTunes and the hifi and and you may mute/lower the system sound on your Mac without interfering with the music. (It may sound expensive, but I use AirTunes all the time and think it's worth it).

8. bluefiberoptics macrumors regular

bluefiberoptics

I know they have this application volume control in Windows Vista, not sure about Leopard. :(

9. Sojourn macrumors member

I remember reading about an application that allowed you to control the volume levels of individual applications separately. The program ran in the menu bar, and you could make your adjustments from there. I hadn't thought I would want such an application at the time, but have since found plenty of instances in which I had it (such as wanting to turn the volume off for my internet browser, while still listening to music, etc.). I've spent the better part of last hour searching for it, though, and haven't been able to find it -- which seems weird, since I had seen it recommended on multiple sites, and it appeared to be well-known.

Does anyone know what this application is, and where one might find it? I think the application's icon incorporated a pair of headphones, if that helps at all.

Thanks, and take care,
    Sojourn

10. alwaysinverted0 macrumors newbie

Detour

the application is called Detour but it doesn't work with an intel-based mac

11. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

To minimize alert or UI sounds (Not what OP wants, but I think it might be interest to other users):

Go into System Preferences, Sounds
    Uncheck: "Play user interface sound effects" (or lower alert volume to 10% or so)

I avoid web sites that blast music by itself. 99%+ of professional sites with real contents don't do that anyway.

Detour seems like an interesting app. Too bad they are not going to bring it back... Here is their reason for discontinuing it
    http://www.rogueamoeba.com/utm/posts/News/detour-retirement-2005-10-14-10-00

But I can see why some people might find such feature useful. Those people should write to http://apple.com/feedback

12. davidebeaman macrumors newbie

Audio Hijack

The Program Audio Hijack Pro (I don't know if regular Audio HiJack will do it) will take over and mute an app; in addition, it has the ability to record what an app is "putting out" so you can record a youtube video sound if you can't find the song anywhere else.

I looked at this thread looking of the same info, looked up detour and realized that audio Hijack was made by the same guys, so I had like a flashback and remembered that it had a mute button!