Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bufffilm

Suspended
Original poster
May 3, 2011
i have a JB 6s...never owned a smartphone before getting this phone.

My question is this: Does Android (out of the box, w/o rooting the phone, etc) offer more granularity with the volume control than Apple?

I am amazed that Apple doesn't allow you to control more than the ringer/alert and general audio on their devices.

Is Android any different?

I wanted to ask this question here rather than the Alternatives forum because of user famililarity with tweaks available w/Cydia.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
i have a JB 6s...never owned a smartphone before getting this phone.

My question is this: Does Android (out of the box, w/o rooting the phone, etc) offer more granularity with the volume control than Apple?

I am amazed that Apple doesn't allow you to control more than the ringer/alert and general audio on their devices.

Is Android any different?

I wanted to ask this question here rather than the Alternatives forum because of user famililarity with tweaks available w/Cydia.
But your questions seem to be about Android and not about jailbreaking/tweaks. :confused:

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
You can control media volume, notification volume, ringtone volume and alarm volume independently.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
I think it all depends on the manufacturer and their design with Android. Samsung, for example, annoys the hell out of me because the notification volume and ring tone volume are two different settings, but maybe you would appreciate it.

bufffilm

Suspended
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Thanks for the replies.

So it appears that Android does a bit more, out of the box, than Apple.

Perhaps I should have included a screenshot of my phone.

image.png

As you can see, different levels set which I like. If I do get an Android phone sometime down the road, I'll know what I'm getting into.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I'm not sure what you are asking. iPhone maintains separate volume settings for the ringtone, Siri, speaker audio, headphone audio, bluetooth audio, telephone audio, alarm audio. What else is there?

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
I'm not sure what you are asking. iPhone maintains separate volume settings for the ringtone, Siri, speaker audio, headphone audio, bluetooth audio, telephone audio, alarm audio. What else is there?
I think what he's getting at is iOS doesn't let you preset those levels.
By default, when you press the volume button on an iPhone, it adjust ringer volume. You also cannot set ringer volume and notification volume independently of each other.
The only time you can adjust other volume levels, i.e., video playback volume, is when you're actually using an app with that uses it.
Android let's you preset those levels and you can adjust that at any time regardless of what app you're in.
Hit the volume button on stock android and you get presented with 3 sliders. Ringer, Notification and System.
If you're in a media app, a fourth media volume is added to that set of sliders.

bufffilm

Suspended
Original poster
May 3, 2011
I think what he's getting at is iOS doesn't let you preset those levels.
By default, when you press the volume button on an iPhone, it adjust ringer volume. You also cannot set ringer volume and notification volume independently of each other.
The only time you can adjust other volume levels, i.e., video playback volume, is when you're actually using an app with that uses it.
Android let's you preset those levels and you can adjust that at any time regardless of what app you're in.
Hit the volume button on stock android and you get presented with 3 sliders. Ringer, Notification and System.
If you're in a media app, a fourth media volume is added to that set of sliders.

You said it perfectly...thank you.

There were times when I adjusted one setting (think it was the speaker volume) and then found the volume of the phone call affected as well.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
The tweak you show in use, Volume Mixer 2, is one of my favorites. Volume settings do get screwed up and it's the only way to visualize what's going on with all of them. The VM2 controls change when you're connected to a Bluetooth audio device, also.

bufffilm

Suspended
Original poster
May 3, 2011
The tweak you show in use, Volume Mixer 2, is one of my favorites. Volume settings do get screwed up and it's the only way to visualize what's going on with all of them. The VM2 controls change when you're connected to a Bluetooth audio device, also.

Yes, it is easy to screw up the controls. I haven't nailed down the exact steps in this regard, but it's happened more than once.

That's why it is strange to me that Apple doesn't have a way to do this out of the box. Such a basic function and Apple locks it down with no way to change it. And it's been locked down for years...what gives, Apple?!

I don't see anything new with the VM2 controls though when connected to BT. Can you please expound?

Last edited:

bufffilm

Suspended
Original poster
May 3, 2011
I have all the audio categories checked in Settings>Volume Mixer 2

This is what I see normally:
View attachment 671565

This is when connected to a BT headset:
View attachment 671566

Ahhh, I see...thanks! I didn't have the headset checked off.

As posted in the opening post, I never had a smartphone before this...just baffled that Apple never had a way to do this easily and why they would not allow someone to write an app (to publish in the App Srore to allow this) to be both the height of absurdity as well as show the overweening measure of control Apple insists to have with every aspect of the device!

I mean really...what possible harm could a user do to their iPhone/iPad/iPod if Apple allowed this??? And if Apple doesn't want to update iOS to do this, let developers do it then.

This tweak is a must-have for every jail-broken i-device.

Last edited:

Nr123*123

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2014
You can change media volume on iOS at anytime using the volume keys.

Settings > sounds > change with buttons

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.