Volume Control on Ipod Touch 1g not working in regular "Music" menu

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by nipponfan, Jun 21, 2009.

1. nipponfan macrumors regular

Since yesterday my volume controls in the music menu don't work. I'm sliding over it but it won't move in either direction. If I move up some more I touch the trackcontrols. If I double click the home button and bring up the controls there I can alter the volume.

I've also noticed that it's harder to tap icons in the lower area of the touchscreen.

Any suggestions on how to solve this problem? I've already restored the firmware twice and it didn't help.

see this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j134D5DWltA

2. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Not working or not even visible?

With 3.0 you won't see a volume slider until you plug headphones in. The firmware knows there is nothing connected (except maybe at the dock connector) so disables the internal amp to save you some power.

3. dukefan macrumors member

I'm having a similar problem on a 2G touch. It randomly seems to "lose" control for the volume - can't change it in the Music app and the volume controls on the left do nothing. This is when using speaker mode.

A reboot solves the problem, but it's not a long term solution. This has now happened twice since the 3.0 update - had not happened in the 6 weeks we've had it before the update.

4. nipponfan thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, that I know. Just check out the video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j134D5DWltA), then you know what I mean.

I CAN change the volume everywhere but in the "classic" music view.

5. KrazyKuul macrumors regular

it's probably a dead strip.

I had one of these on the very top of my iPod touch 1g. I couldnt scroll to the top of a web page very fast by tapping the top off the screen, and also I couldnt access the menu on pocket guitar, or anything that had buttons on the very top of the screen. So i sent it back to apple under warranty, and they sent me a new one.

Problem solved. Try typing up a form for apple and say that you have a dead strip on your iPod and explain what is wrong. They should cover it as long as it's under warranty

6. nipponfan thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I also think that's the problem. Unfortunately I bought this one in Jan. 08, so no more warranty. But I already got an exchange in October 08, so maybe I can argue that this unit isn't even a year old.

7. K9markiii macrumors newbie

iPod touch 3g

The volume control works in every app except music where neither slider or volume button can change vollume. The display shows the volume tring to go down by blinking at the level below.

8. bodhammer macrumors member

I'm having a similar problem with my 32GB 1st Gen. I can move the slider in classic view but it alwasy bounces back to where it was set. I have firmware 3.1.3 on the unit. It has never be serviced and I don't seem to have any other digitizer problems that I can tell.

Update...
    DOH- a power off reset just fixed the problem...