Volume Control Slider

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Littleman, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Littleman macrumors regular

Littleman

You double click the iPhone button to see your open programmes, swipe right for iPod controls and swipe right again for a volume control slider. When did this appear? Has it always been there? Also, why would you want this when you have actual buttons to complete this task? Perhaps if it was a brightness button it would make more sense, but as a volume button???
    Am I missing the obvious here?

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=53.473211,-2.292553

2. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

It seems a little redundant for me, but I'm guessing that this allows easily customizing for the music volume while midway through tasks such as texts. Turning up the volume by 1 bar might be too loud, while turning down the volume by 1 bar might make it too soft. So to save the inconvenience of going to the iPod app to customize the music volume to your comfortable level, this acts as a quick workaround..

3. J.C macrumors 6502

It's been there for some time. There is a setting to stop the physical buttons from controlling system volume. With this set, they control ringtone and speaker volume only, so the volume slider is required for control of media playback volume. It's also next to the Airplay button for control over the Airplay receiver device volume i.e. Apple TV.

4. Pight macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's been there since 4.2 if I'm not mistaken.

5. Dumbledorelives macrumors 6502

Dumbledorelives

WOAH. I had no idea that was there. Mind blown.

6. nmork macrumors regular

Not exactly. With the volume buttons set to change the ringer volume, they'll do it as long as an app isn't actually playing audio, regardless of speaker/headphones/dock. With the setting enabled, it'll change ringer volume if nothing is playing, and system volume if something is. Otherwise, it'll just always change system volume.

7. sxcJoshie macrumors newbie