Volume Control...

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by JoelBC, Aug 17, 2014.

1. JoelBC macrumors 6502a

Apologies should this appear to be a naïve question but I am trying to understand Apple TV before purchasing one.

If I use an Apple TV to mirror a show that I am watching on my MBA then how is the volume...it would make sense to mute the volume on my MBA and then control the volume through the display device that the Apple TV is connected but, just to be clear and certain, is this how it works?

Thanks,

Joel

2. priitv8 macrumors 68020

It will route all sound to aTV, no sound will come from laptop.

3. JoelBC thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you, this is exactly the information I was looking for, very much appreciated...

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

mirroring your display for watching full screen videos typically results in the video quality being poor (stutters and lower resolution), and you will not be able to use 5.1 sound.

the best option for quality is to have the file in an aTV compatible format and use iTunes.

or if the file in not aTV compatible, use an app like beamer to have your computer convert the file and send it.

----
    mirroring can only convert the image once it hits the screen of your computer, and then has to do the conversion in real time so the image on the remote screen matches the image on your computer screen. And it works on the a picture of your screen instead of the actual movie file.

mirroring the screen when you're not doing full screen video isn't as bad, since the majority of the screen image remains the same.

beamer has the ability to read ahead, since it is accessing the raw file, and will avoid a lot of the stutter and jerkiness that mirroring will have.

beamer will require processing power to convert the movie, having the file already in iTunes and a compatible format will require little to no work for your computer.

if you want to put files in itunes, look at identify2 which will automatically tag compatible tracks, so when you add it to itunes, it will be correctly labeled with name, description, and type of media (movie or TV show)

5. JoelBC thread starter macrumors 6502a

Appreciate the advice and information...I will have to look into this...I was hoping to use the mirroring feature to watch this coming season of NFL football as I live in Canada and can be hard to get all of the games so the idea was to get them on the internet and mirror them on my AppleTV.

Any idea whether Beamer can work in this scenario as I do want to watch them in real time?

TIA,

Joel

6. mic j macrumors 68030

No, I don't think Beamer will do anything live. Just stream videos you already have.

7. JoelBC thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you, much appreciated...

8. priitv8 macrumors 68020

If they are available on YouTube, then you can youse Safari plug-in called ClickToFlash that has a nice ability to redirect incoming MP4 video stream from YT directly to AirPlay, without any transcoding.
    Unfortunately, this feature does not work on all video sites (e.g. Vimeo).

9. JoelBC thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks but not -- to the best of my knowledge -- available on YouTube.