Volume Controls Disabled with External Display (MacBook Pro 2016)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MecPro, Mar 14, 2017.

1. MecPro macrumors 6502

Hi guys, I had a look around for a specific thread, but could only find some on the official Apple forms

But a problem I noticed with my 2016 MacBook Pro, is that when I connect my TV via a USB C -> HDMI hub, I cannot control the volume of the output from the Touchbar, I can only use the TV remote. That is in comparison to the hardware buttons of the previous MacBook Pro.

The odd thing, is if I am listening to music via Spotify, Spotify has its own volume slider which I can use and that works fine. Outside of that application, no luck.

Now I am trying to figure out if this is by design for all external monitors, or whether because my TV is a bit old (Sony model from around 2007) and doesn't have certain settings

Does anyone else have this issue?

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

HDMI sends sound through, thus you need to adjust volume in the display, not the Mac. That's just how HDMI works, period. It sends the audio signal through at max volume, and whatever's receiving the signal's job is to display it and produce sound at the set volume with it.

3. MecPro thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh ok.

I didn't know they was the case. Thanks for the information!