Volume controls stuck

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by punjabimc, Jul 24, 2009.

1. punjabimc macrumors newbie

I'm using a 2G ipod touch on OS 3.0. Today while listening to a song i increased the volume and now it wont go down. Although neither key is stuck the volume is constantly increasing and the only way i can still listen to music without pain is by limiting volume from the settings.
    Turning it on and off isnt working. I was thinking about trying resetting. Will that erase OS3.0 and i'll have to buy it again? And any other suggestions?
    Thanks

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Either do a hard reset (hold the lock and home button until the phone turns off) Or do a simple restore in iTunes. :)

3. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

You don't have to buy again, just restore it.

4. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

My first gen iPhone does this. Resetting doesn't help. Apple Store Genius said it would need to be sent in to be fixed & would likely be a $100 charge. After my iPhone started having this problem I did some searching on google and found multiple stories if people having this problem with iPhones & touches. It seems something internally is sticking. Sorry. I didn't bother to get mine fixed as I ended up upgrading to a 3G S

5. AngryApple macrumors 6502

I think I just experienced that. I wanted to adjust the volume with the buttons on the side, and it did not work. :eek: I ended up restarting. Worked.

6. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

The external volume controls were a concession by apple to the customers who demanded them. You can tell looking at the 1st gen touch that no consideration was initally given for volume controls. Their solution on the 2nd gen is a cludge, as evident by the problem you're having. Mechanical buttons break down. Apple's goal is to illiminate as many break-downs that lead to warrantied repairs as possible. Notice the latest iPod Shuffle. Even the nano isn't a real spinning clickwheel anymore.