volume fading in and out.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by tylerwatt12, Jul 16, 2013.

1. tylerwatt12 macrumors regular

I've noticed that the webcam appears to control the backlit keyboard and screen brightness. but one other thing that I can't seem to find a preference panel setting for is volume level.

When I watch youtube videos, the level of the audio goes from inaudible to too loud every 30seconds to 1 minute. I'm not sure what's causing this. It's most apparent when people are talking and not apparent when I use headphones.

Any ideas?

2. Stealth777 macrumors newbie

Known problem

The volume issue is a known one that lots of people have on their 2013 Air's. I bought two in a row and both have the problem. Many others have done the same.

Someone mentioned that apple has acknowledged it and is working on a fix, but if you are concerned, return the machine and get a new one once they have fixed the issue.

Good luck.

3. happyhippo1337 macrumors regular

So you are saying that the third machine you bought doesn't have the issue?

4. DJTaurus macrumors 65816

DJTaurus

5. hkim1983, Jul 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2013

hkim1983 macrumors 6502

I just received my Air the other day, and this was one of the first things I tested, and I can verify that it does happen, at least for me. It's not isolated to youtube videos either, I tested it with a .mkv on my external HD.

Hopefully this is software related...

EDIT: Oops, didn't see the other thread, which also verifies it happens with non-streaming video. Good to read that it may be software related though, I can live with this then.