Volume going up with Wired Apple Keyboard

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Erdnaqwe, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Erdnaqwe macrumors newbie

I am experiencing a very weird bug with the Apple Wired Keyboard with an iMac running OS X Mountain Lion. Whenever I press a key on the right lower part of the keyboard (list of keys at the end), the volume starts to go up uncontrollably and does not stop until it is lowered using the F11 key. I tried unplugging the keyboard and replugging it and it did not change anything. Also tried rebooting (and a lot of the basic troubleshooting) but it did not work.

Here is a list of all the keys that activate this bug
    1,2,3,0 and ; on the numpad
    left arrow key
    down arrow key
    right arrow key
    right command key

Just wondered if anyone else experienced this bug and if someone knows what to do.
    I am not very good at explaining so if you need any clarifications please tell me.

Thanks for your help in advance.

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Test the keyboard on a different computer and/or test a known good keyboard on this computer

My WAG is bad keyboard, perhaps got something spilled on it?

3. Erdnaqwe thread starter macrumors newbie

Will try with another computer but I do not have another Mac handy.
    Since the volume up is a Mac only function, I doubt I will get any signs of the problem if I test it with a windows computer.

4. brand macrumors 601

brand

What makes you think it is a bug and not a hardware issue?

5. Erdnaqwe thread starter macrumors newbie

Because my keyboard seems fine.
    I never spilled anything on it and it seems pretty clean.

6. brand macrumors 601

brand

You call that "fine"?

7. Erdnaqwe thread starter macrumors newbie

It looks fine besides that... -_- (emphasis on looks)

8. brand macrumors 601

brand

Since the part that would cause what is happening is an electrical component inside of the keyboard I would expect it to look fine on the outside. The same is true if your logic board or hard drive failed on your Mac. Just because it looks fine on the outside doesn't mean that it is.

9. Erdnaqwe thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok... and how does that help solve the problem?
    If your point was to tell me that it is probably some component inside was defective you could have said that in the beginning...

Also, I have seen many keyboards die because something happened to them that damaged it physically. It is only the first time something weird like this happened to me and I felt it was important to specify that nothing bad happened to it physically (hence why I specified that I did not spill anything on it and that it looked fine). I also thought that it was possible that some setting in OS X somehow got changed that caused this to happen or another weird problem with the OS hence why I said it might be a bug.

Anyways, thank you for your input. I will probably just buy another keyboard if I can't save this one.