Volume greyed out?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jennyferzoo, Feb 19, 2015.

1. jennyferzoo macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

Have been using the Late 2014 Mac Mini for quite some time now and everything has been great; however, one of the minis stopped having sound this morning. After checking the TV, YouTube, and sound settings everything seemed fine so I Googled solutions. Many of the fixes required console/settings changes but I found one that just said to plug in headphones and remove them - since it was the simplest one I did just that and everything is back to normal. What I am wondering is, should I be concerned about this or is this a normal phenomenon? I have never plugged in a pair of headphones into this machine before, it has always ran HDMI to the TV. The headphone fix seems to do something with sensors but how would a sensor go off if I never have plugged in headphones before? Sorry for the paranoia.

2. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

The headphones switch the audio when you plug them in. Removing them switches the audio back. Essentially a reboot and therefore fixes the issue.

Sometimes the audio settings break for no reason. Are you on Yosemite? For me, sometimes the volume change buttons break on my Mac and need to open audio settings to fix them. Quality control isn't what it used to be.