Volume, Itunes controls, Brighness commands etc. not working ...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by heyitsden-nay, Nov 16, 2011.

1. heyitsden-nay, Nov 16, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2011

heyitsden-nay macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, first post in these forums -

About a month ago, my skip track, eject, volume, mute, etc (top bar) command buttons stopped working as they use to. I even bought a new keyboard ($50 WEEEE) thinking it was a hardware problem. To my dismay, it was is apparently a software problem.

The volume up button now does the same as the middle mouse click (brings the calculator/calender/clock/weather to the screen), the volume down button does the same as my curser to the bottom left command (moves all open windows off screen so you can see the desktop), skip track right does the same as curser to the top left (makes all windows visible), etc...

I've gone on google and tried all the solutions there:

- I've gone into the k"eyboard & mouse" settings, gone to the keyboard tab, and checked, unchecked the "use all F1 etc keys as standard function keys" to no avail

-I've restored defaults in the same menu (under "keyboard shortcuts")

-I've gone into the international menu and made sure "keyboard viewer" and "character pallette"are checked, as well as the "show input menu in menu bar" (not sure why this'd help, but it was suggested)

- I've also turned off my computer, unplugged the keyboard and computer, held the power for 15 seconds, plugged them both back in (keyboard to different usb plug) and held command+option+p+r during load up to reset the ram or whatever.

None of this has worked! Does someone have another option i can do to help me fix this? my computer runs immaculately besides this, and i listen to a lot of Itunes, so the lack of keyboard controls is really annoying!

Any help is greatly appreciated, Thanks in advance

EDIT:

I might as well include some comp info? not sure its that relevant, but here's some info-

Imac, 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    OSX 10.5.8

2. heyitsden-nay thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Sonhascome macrumors 6502

4. heyitsden-nay thread starter macrumors newbie

I believe that's what the restarting and the holding the power button steps i listed in my first post did. Am i missing something there? If not, does anyone else have any suggestions? I'm not using my computer as much as i use to due to the lack of itunes controls....