Volume Keeps Getting Duplicated in /Volumes

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lindahl22, Dec 12, 2009.

1. lindahl22 macrumors member

Every so often I have iTunes tell me that it can't save because the volume has changed. In /volumes I see that I have Drobo, Drobo 1, Drobo 2, Drobo 3, Drobo 4, Drobo 5. How can I not have my computer create more of these alias that cause me issues. This also gives me issues with Final Cut Express.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

While the external drive is disconnected, delete all the broken links to Drobo. Restart your Mac. Should fix itself.

3. larkost macrumors 6502a

This means that the volume got unmounted, but not cleanly. So there is a leftover folder (the mount point) when the system goes to mount it again, so it iterates up to the next mount point.

The only way of getting around this is to create a /etc/fstab file with an entry for the volume and a mount point. I would base it on UUID if possible, and mount it somewhere other than /Volumes (to avoid any /Volumes cleaning routines). Of course you are going to have to insure that the mount point (a folder) exists before the system goes to mount the disk at that point.

Oh, and I don't actually know that fstab entries work in SnowLeopard, they did in Leopard and have been depreciated for a while (so could stop working without warning).