volume locked? need help!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lorductape, Apr 7, 2007.

1. lorductape macrumors 6502

lorductape

for some reason the volume buttons on my keyboard are not working. I press then and I get the ordinary volume display, except it displays the volume at max (which it is not) and beneath it, a 'no' sign. thoughts?

help please!

this is what it looks like: (yeah i know my background is funky but get over it ;) )

Attached Files:

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Does it work after a restart? Can you change the volume via System Preferences? Maybe try dragging a file named com.apple.BezelServices.plist to the Desktop and rebooting. :)

3. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

If it does not resolve after restart, try this: press and hold the lowering volume key down until it goes to no volume. Then, release the lowering volume key and see what happens. If it incrementally goes back up to maximum volume then there is a chance the increase volume key is stuck. This can be solved typically with a little careful maneuvering and jiggling, unless you spilled something or get it sticky somehow, which is a different problem, but one I can answer in the event that is the problem.

4. lorductape thread starter macrumors 6502

lorductape

well, it worked after a restart... but I'm still kind of confused as to why it happened...

just to clarify, the volume buttons did not work at all. when I pressed them, that came up, and the volume was not changed. however, i could still use menu bar and sysPrefs to change the volume.

5. semaja2 macrumors 6502a

You get that when your using digital output i believe, must of been a fault thinking it had the wrong connections