Volume Locked

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by beauc, Jul 14, 2012.

1. beauc, Jul 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2012

beauc macrumors newbie

Hello all, hope this is where I post this question...

My volume is locked after using headphones the other day and it on and off has the red light coming out of the headphone jack. It says it's at full volume but there is a circle with line through it down the bottom now and there is no sound at all.

I know there are many forums about this on the Internet, it's just I've tried everything so far with no success. My mac is out of warranty and I can't afford to go and get it fixed so I'm hoping there is something I can do at home.

So far, I have:

Reset computer
    Reset PRAM settings
    Done a safe boot
    Plugged in the headphones a few times
    Run the program AppleJack
    Moved the .plist file and deleted it and reset the computer
    I have gone to system Preferences > Sound > Output tab > ...... but there is no option for internal speakers.

Is there anything else I can do? From all my web searching I feel as though I have done everything...

Thank you!
    Beau

2. Vishal Singh macrumors newbie

One and final solution for greyed out Volume in Mac Book.

Hi All,

I spent almost 3 days in trying to solve Mac Book Air - Greyed out (Max volume) icon issue. I was not able to play any sort of sound at all and i tried following things :

1) Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) : http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964

2) Resetting PRAM :
    http://support.apple.com/kb/PH14222

3) OS X Mavericks: Reinstall OS X
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ph13871

4) After following all these steps mentioned above I raised a ticket to Apple support : Ticket id 661159575. Spent another 3-4 hours and followed the same steps in line..once again. The support team if re-install OS did not work then it is surely H/W problem and I should go to Apple store...But I was not positive of the H/W issue as it was not sinking in..

Then as I am from S/W background I knew that permissions and lock issues makes life in Linux/Unix based kernels as like MacBook Air OS - Maverics or OS X Lion. Then I did two things and restarted my Mac and when I heard the sound..I literally wanted to kiss myself and treat myself...

So the solution which will surely work is :
    1) Browse to the folder \Library\Audio and then right click on the Audio folder and click "Get info" then down below you will see a small "lock" icon click on it and it will open..then you have to add your macbook account in to the permissions space and make sure you give "read & write both" and again click
    on the lock icon so that it is locked again and no one else can change the permissions. close the "Get info" window and follow next step as mentioned :
    2) Now you have to run one command which will release any lock on "audio" folder..
    open the terminal and run : cd \Library\audio chmod -R 777
    Restart your mac and get ready to rock

This will definitely save lots of money guys..Apple should definitely make a KB from this post

Cheers