Volume Low

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SPeditor, Jul 22, 2008.

1. SPeditor macrumors regular

This is my first iPhone (3G version) so I don't know how the previous version was. To me the volume seems low. It's much lower than my other cell phone and any other type of phone I tried. I have it raised all the way up too.

FYI - I'm not talking about the speakers at the bottom of the iPhone. I'm talking about the top speaker that you have to your ear when you listen to a call.

So, does anyone else notice this? I hope mine is not broke. Maybe it's the AT&T service? Or is this normal for the iPhone?

2. tsvb macrumors 6502

Hmm my volume is fine and I have another phone that I use which is similar. If it seems really, really low take it in and see what they say.

3. Alphanumeric macrumors member

I'm in the same position as you. This is my first iPhone and the speaker definately seems really low compared to any other phone I've used as well.

4. SPeditor thread starter macrumors regular

Interesting. So perhaps my iPhone is not broken. I have my volume all the way up and it's still low.

5. dustinl4m3 macrumors regular

iPhone and iPhone 3G both have quiet earpieces. Believe it or not, the initial 1.0 iPhone firmware was about half as loud as the 2.0 you are using. It was entirely unusable; In a moving vehicle, I found it impossible to hear the other party even with the volume level maxed out.

On the new 3G, I also have the earpiece volume maxed out and wish it could go a bit higher still.

I don't think your phone is broken, the iPhone is just too quiet.

6. Alphanumeric macrumors member

It sounds like they are trying to keep the volume low to mask the call quality. I can't even imagine trying to take a call on the 1.0 firmware as you described. I think I would of returned the iPhone and bought an iPod touch if that were the case.

7. dranakin macrumors 6502

Yeah, I just switched from the BB Pearl and I thought I was the only one who noticed how low the earspeaker sounds.

8. drfluid macrumors newbie

The earpiece volume of iPhone 3G is way way too low. I can't even hear the other parties ringing tones while I'm calling.

Compared with my 2G iPhone and it's unacceptable by calling my home voicemail. I couldn't even hear my own greeting with iPhone 3G!!

I tried everything I could, but guess only choice I have left is taking the phone to the Apple store.

9. cdd543 macrumors 6502

cdd543

Interesting I have to turn mine down from the highest volume as it is too loud for me. I can hear well in very loud environments. It's way better than my gen 1 iphone and very clear as well.

10. lilmitchmitch macrumors 6502

I was just in the car 30 minutes ago and my call was very clear and especially loud. Going down the highway with AC cranked up, and seemed fine to me.

11. WishIWasHere macrumors regular

I actually think this varies from phone to phone. I bought the original iPhone last year as soon as it was on sale, and I've never had a problem with volume, at least no problem that I didn't have with every other phone I've had. Even when they came out with the new software version that supposedly addressed volume, I couldn't tell a difference on my phone. And I don't think my hearing is any better than most people's, I just think some phones have some issue that makes it worse for them.

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

My 1G iPhone has low volume. Much lower than the phone it replaced.

13. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    low for me too.

the speaker phone is exceptionally awful. In a silent room works excellently. Driving with the AC on medium... I have to hold the speaker into my ear.... kinda defeats the purpose...

on the bright side monkey ball can have AMAZINGLY loud music!! I don't understand that. speaker phone, videos, and most songs... low... monkey ball, if i crank it up the neighbors can hear... :confused:

14. davyreins macrumors 6502

I thought the same thing actually about the ear piece speaker being low. My friend has an iphone 3g too so I'm going to try to compare.

15. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

The 3G is louder than gen 1, barely anyways, being somewhat clearer. I have always said since day one that the call volume (speakerphone and headset) as well as ringer volume are completely inadequate on the iphone. We all have heard crappy old Nokia's that are louder than the iPhone. I would have upgraded to the 3G if Apple had resolved this issue. :rolleyes:

16. SPeditor thread starter macrumors regular

Please let us know how that goes.

17. drfluid macrumors newbie

I've had mine replaced at an apple store today. No questions asked. Had the Genius talk on the defected phone and he replaced it on the spot.
    The swapping process was much smoother than the 1st time. I got charged another upgrade fee of $18, though. I was advised to call att tomorrow to waive that.

Gladly, the second iPhone sounds as it should and has no dead pixel, yey! :)

18. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yepper, the v1 iPhone volume improved with replacement iPhones, and I guess Apple just started to fix the bugs with their refurbs and might have fixed some bugs with firmware updates. IMHO... The 3G sounds as good as my v1, and maybe a little better, but I'm always using my BT. The few times I've used the iPhone's earphone, I've had no problem hearing the other party, and I've actually turned it down about two clicks...:cool:

19. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

The volume on my original iPhone is pretty bad but I still can understand people and I hear that the new iPhones are better so it can only get louder for me :D

20. pj rage macrumors 6502

I wish both the earpiece and speakerphone were much louder. I'd rather have to keep the volume at the middle range or so and have the option of turning it up or down instead of leaving it maxed and usually wishing it had more.

One thing I've definitely noticed, though, is that some of my friend's I receive LOUD in the earpiece and others are quiet. I haven't narrowed down 100% if it is their service provider or just their specific phones, though. But so far, it seems that anyone who calls me who also has AT&T is WAY louder than people from Verizon for example. T-mobile seems to be louder than Verizon too, but not as loud as AT&T. Don't know what's up with it. When my one friend with AT&T calls me, it literally hurts my ears it's so loud, and I definitely have to turn down the volume everytime. He's the only one that is THAT loud so far, but also the only person I talk to regularly who has AT&T. Weird huh?

Has anyone else noticed that different people come in at different volume levels?

21. cjbryce macrumors 6502

cjbryce

Frequently, but I think that's all to do with phone model (microphone and firmware)/network/signal strength/how they hold their phone and of course...

...how loud they talk:D

22. DamnDJ macrumors regular

DamnDJ

Having owned both the original iPhone, a blackberry pearl 8120, and now the new iPhone, I believe the new iPhone provides the best earspeaker quality. I can actually hear people now and I don't dread having long conversations on the phone.

Wish the speaker phone was louder, but it'll do.