Volume on Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by snkinkade, Jan 14, 2013.

1. snkinkade macrumors newbie

I'm having a probably with the volume on my macbook. I used an external set of speakers on it and now my volume symbol at the top of the screen is grey and wont let me do anything. I went into the sound settings but I was still unable to figure out what to do to get it to work. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

System Pref > Sound > Click the * Output * tab... What's highlighted ? .... Should be * Internal Speakers .... Built in *

If that's not highlighted, do so and see if it works!

3. snkinkade thread starter macrumors newbie

the only options i have under the output tab are
    Name- Digital Out Type optical digital-out port
    name- Digi CoreAudio Device

when i click on each in it says in the settings for the selected device: the selected device has no output controls

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

Your computer thinks a digital optical cable is connected to it. There is a small switch in the headphone jack to detect such cables and send sound out through the optical out, sometimes that switch gets stuck.

Pull your cable out and stick it back in a few times, if that does not work, perhaps poking around with a toothpick may resolve the issue. If you pull out your sound cable right, a red light is probably shining from the headphone jack, pry around until it turns off.

5. snkinkade thread starter macrumors newbie

6. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

Glad it got sorted. I don't have the cMBP anymore so I completely forgot about it having a different set up!