Volume Override / Emergency Pager function

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by coolmacguy, Aug 24, 2010.

1. coolmacguy macrumors regular

Hey, I'm wondering if there's a way to setup a way to have a certain contact override the volume and vibrate settings and have like a loud ringtone.

My job requires me to be potentially available at all hours and I'm trying to setup something like an emergency pager function.

I sometimes put my phone on vibrate because otherwise people call me late at night and I don't want to get woken up. But I'm wondering if there is a way to have a certain number override this. Is there some app that will provide this kind of functionality?

I have the iphone 4 with jailbroken 4.0.1. thanks for any help

2. coolmacguy thread starter macrumors regular

so yeah I looked into it some more and I can't find anything like this.

There is an app "Auto Silent" that allows you to control this on a global level for certain events (texts, voicemails, push notifications) but it doesn't work with iOS 4.

looks like ill have to get another phone or a pager to do this.

3. rans0m00 macrumors 6502

Dying to know of one also. Have the same issue but just with family. Slightly amazed with how they are trying to push the iPhone into the business world that they do not have features like this. Or if they do I can be corrected.

4. thunderbunny macrumors 6502a

thunderbunny

Apples MobileMe service allows you to send a message with sound to an iPhone or iPad even when they are on silent. It does cost £59 or $?? a year and you'd need to give your contact(s) your login details.

5. Psycdude macrumors member

Another option is to create a default ringtone that is silent, and then another one just for your work. That way when work calls it's the only one that will wake you up...

6. rans0m00 macrumors 6502

Seems like a bit of work for the end user when I would prefer to just move the slider to vib and have a few contacts still come through as a ring but that does look like a good fix till hopefully Apple pulls together something better. Thanks for the idea.