Volume Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Gattz, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Gattz macrumors regular

For some reason when I bring my volume down to zero, I need to the volume increase button twice on my keyboard to get it back to the first box of volume. When I hit it once, it goes and then it is reduced to a lower volume(not no sound, just a lower volume), but it still shows the first volume box. When I hit it again it still shows the first volume box, but returns to normal volume.

Sorry if this sounds confusing, but I'm not sure how else to say this.

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

If I understand (and it is quite difficult to explain) mine doesn't do that. If I reduce it to no sound using the Mute key, then one press of either up or down restores the volume to what it was before rather than one step up or one step down from that previous volume.

If I reduce the volume to zero using the "down" key, one press of the "up" key increases the sound by one step. Of course, if you press the keys quickly, before the sound icon fades, it's dynamic; one press, one step, whichever direction.

3. Gattz thread starter macrumors regular

Not sure, why it was doing that, but a complete shut off seemed to fix it. :p

What do you mean it's dynamic when you bring it another step or more before the volume icon fades?

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

If the volume icon is not visible, the first keystroke will merely bring up the icon. The second keystroke will move the volume indicator one step. The first stroke is "static" and the second is "dynamic". If the icon is visible, and the key to move the indicator in the opposite direction is then struck, it will move. There is no second stroke needed. Each stroke is dynamic, as long as the icon remains visible. It's just my way of describing what is easier to observe.