Volume rocker crack. How did this happen?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by houdinize, Nov 13, 2008.

1. houdinize macrumors regular

I was taking my case off to clean my 1st gen iPhone, removing dust, etc. when after close inspection of the volume rocker I noticed a crack between the two raised portions. I have no idea how this could even happen on any iPhone, let alone mine, I have never dropped it.

You think apple will replace it?

Attached Files:

2. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

no

3. nanvinnie macrumors regular

does your volume control still work?

my iphone had a problem with the volume controls being completely inoperative. the volume would just go down to zero on it's own. apple was good about it though and replaced it for free.

4. houdinize thread starter macrumors regular

The volume works fine, so yeah, I guess no replacement in my future. But what else will apple do with all those leftover 1st gens? I just think it is weird because that piece is almost flush with the metal housing, not sure how it could have had enough force applied to it in order to be cracked.

5. mcmanus7 macrumors 6502a

nobody here can really provide you with a 100% answer.. call up applecare and talk to them... I find with Apple it all depends on who you talk to....

6. Vald macrumors newbie

you don't need to drop the phone to have a crack on a plastic surface.

I'm guessing it happened because of repeated heating and cooling? the matter expands, then cools.. it doesn't have to be extreme heating and cooling..
    That's what happens to wood (more often).. in this case it's plastic... donno if its good quality plastic..

so.. it's just bad luck it happened to you and not your neighbour.

but that's just what I'm guessing..

7. sinking Stone macrumors newbie

I just looked at mine and it has the same crack.

8. Luke1robb macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

They will probably not replace the phone due to the fact that the volume still works and there is no way for you to prove you didn't break the volume control on your own fault.

9. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

That is similar to my son's damaged rocker, and Apple replaced it immediately. Just make sure you do a back-up before you go in...:(

10. houdinize thread starter macrumors regular

New "old" iPhone

Well, maybe I just had a great genius but I spent all of five minutes in my local Apple Store and walked out with a new phone. Didn't even ask a question.

Thanks for the comments