Volume Structure Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jadedxsyn, Dec 23, 2009.

1. jadedxsyn macrumors member

Hi guys -

I have a late 08 15in MBP that up until about 2 weeks ago ran great... THEN I started to notice a drastic change in performance.

So...
    • I ran Onyx and it told me I had a problem with the Volume
    • Opened Disk Utility and ran Verify and Repair - both ran with some exceptions at the bottom that I didn't understand
    • I ran Tech Tool Deluxe and it told me there was a problem with Volume Structure but gave me no option to repair

I've also been having issues with the screen freezing and pixels showing up. Is there a correlation?

Any and ALL help is appreciated since I'm pretty clueless about these kind of things...

Thank you!

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

TechTool Pro will repair Volume Structure problems. What it's telling me when I start the process, is that you have to boot from another volume in order to repair your hard disk.

So, I'd suggest putting in your OS CD/DVD and running Disk Utility from there. See if that gives you a repair option.

TTP is about $60 US I think. Others swear by Disk Warrior, but I'm not sure it does what you need. It might!

3. jadedxsyn thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the tip!

Will try as soon as I have access to my OS CD/DVD...

I lost a lot of stuff during a horribly hectic move - if I can't find my OS CD/DVD - what other options do I have?

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Contact Apple, explain your dilemma. You should be able to get a replacement disc for a pittance, assuming you can prove your ownership of the software.