Volume Switch Fell off BUTT....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by michaelgettys, Apr 1, 2009.

1. michaelgettys macrumors member

My volume switch fell off of my iPhone 3g. I have gotten my phone switched out before at an Apple store but the only thing different this time is that it has 3.0 beta on it. I am a developer and bought the sdk. I DID NOT download it. Will apple still honor the warranty on the phone since it has 3.0 on it?

2. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

How did you get the beta without downloading it? Did they send it on a CD in the mail or something?

3. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

i'm sure if you are a certified developer, or can show yourself as a beta user for a certified developer, you should be fine.

4. michaelgettys thread starter macrumors member

of course i downloaded it. I ment i did not download it off a torrent

5. eyefoniac macrumors 6502

eyefoniac

I imagine that they will, I see no reason why they shouldn't. You legitimately purchased and are participating in the developer program. They, if anything, should be appreciative that you have 3.0b installed, that you are helping them knock out the bugs. ;-)

6. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

It's their software. Why wouldn't they honor the warranty?

7. michaelgettys thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the help guys. Just wanted to get other peoples opinion. It would be one thing if there was an apple store where I live. I have to drive about and half to Charlotte!

8. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

Don't even mention 3.0. Since it's a hardware problem most likely they won't even check and if they do just say you are a legit dev.

9. richg916 macrumors regular

Yes, they will honor the warranty. I got a replacement yesterday for cracks, and mine had 3.0 on it.
    Also, the "Genius" was talking with me about 3.0... so he did notice it was on there.

10. Figbash Acrobat macrumors 6502a

Figbash Acrobat

( Okay. EXACT same issue, but... )

...Silent Switch broke off of mine as well (common thing it seems). However, I don't have my own personal dev account. My iPhone 3G is activated as a tester on another developer's account.

Should I downgrade to OS 2.2.1 or do you think the Genius Bar folk won't bother to look the dev registration up, or even care? I don't want to get this fellow developer in trouble for violating terms, if this is even the case. And, of course, I want my phone replaced! I'm hoping a downgrade/restore to 2.2.1 will solve any foreseen problem in getting a replacement. But I don't want to struggle with the downgrade if I don't have to.

Please don't hate. I know there are plenty of paying/serious developers that don't share spots under his/her account. I just knew a nice man who didn't mind me on his. I did chip in on the $99 registration for what it's worth...

ASIDE: I also have jailbroken my phone in the past, but it isn't currently. Should I be concerned about any left over files/traces of a QuickPwn'd phone?? I know this violates the warranty, but I really had just a plain (honest) hardware defect. My switch literally flipped off. Never had a problem before.

Thanks for any help you can offer!!

I have a 3G iPhone with OS 3.0 beta 3 (used with a Mac).

11. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Volume switch fell off your butt? Is this a fart joke?

12. Pooshka macrumors 65816

You'd be surprised, it can happen. :eek:

13. eyefoniac macrumors 6502

eyefoniac

I would leave the beta on there. You have to jailbreak to downgrade, am I correct? If they see that you downgraded, much less jailbroke, that probably throws your warranty right out the window. Just tell them the truth.

14. cx300 macrumors member

15. Figbash Acrobat macrumors 6502a

Figbash Acrobat

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

But then if I restore a second time (after having already restored a custom firmware with QuickPwn) can't I use the original 2.2.1 firmware in iTunes and it not leave any traces of the jailbreak. Is that right?

16. Lexoticstylez02 macrumors 6502a

Lexoticstylez02

I think you'll be fine if you go in with 3.0, just say it's a friends account and added you on. It is Apple software, it isn't hacked or modified it any way.

17. dave006 macrumors 68020

Before you make the drive, double check the Water / liquid sensors before you make the trip.

Locations for iPhone 3G, iPhone, iPod touch, iPod nano and Ipod classic

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3302

Dave