Volume up (F12) = refreshes safari browser page

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Frozzie, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Frozzie macrumors regular

MacBook Pro late 2011 13-inch user. Whenever I listen to video n Safari and I press volume up (F12 key) the page refreshes.

Anyone know how to fix this? I have adblock and clicktoflash installed as extensions.

2. StevenMeyer macrumors member

StevenMeyer

What did you spill on your keyboard? AND DON'T LIE!

3. Frozzie thread starter macrumors regular

Nothing. I have never let anyone bring any food or drink anywhere near my MacBook Pro so I can assure nothing has been spilled.

I am sure I am not the only person suffering from this problem. This seems to be software related problem.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard > "Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys"

Is that checked or not?

Also, have you created any custom keyboard shortcuts?

5. Frozzie thread starter macrumors regular

Q1 - It is not checked

Q2 - Nope, not at least ones related to F12. It can't be that it serves function of volume up 98% of times and then suddenly it sometimes refreshes all tabs of Safari?

I am sorry I forgot to mention that it occurs on few occasions, not always.

6. StevenMeyer macrumors member

StevenMeyer

BAM! spill right there.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Try checking and unchecking it. It should work all the time. Unless another shortcut has been created for that key, it should never affect Safari, and Safari can't change the function of that key.

8. franpi macrumors newbie

Issue confirmed

Frozzie. I'm with you. It's happened to me as well since I purchased my 2011 Macbook Air with Lion installed. As you said, it happens sporadically and kicks me off of google chat (voice calls). Really annoying.

Gotta be an issue with either Safari or Lion. I was hoping the latest safari update would fix the problem, but no dice.

Any progress on your end?

9. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

This actually sounds like whatever you are viewing in Safari is crashing. I have this happen from time-to-time when dealing with YouTube (Flash) or Flash games. Flash will crash, then all the tabs will reload in Safari.

It isn't a keyboard issue, but a user/website issue.

TEG

10. zsmitty macrumors newbie

volume and caps lock keys in safari cause strange behavior

I have this issue too. it was also logging me out of Quickbooks Online and their help desk said the have a note that also the caps lock key, if hit after clearing a pop-up, will log you out of your session.

So long story shore, wireless keyboard +mac+safari = weird "refresh-like" issues in different websites.

Their fix was "use firefox"