Volume

Discussion in 'macOS' started by halisray, Feb 5, 2010.

1. halisray macrumors regular

So I bought my new macbook a couple of months ago and I usually have my headphones plugged in and the volume works perfectly. But whenever I take out my headphones to play something on the laptop speakers, the volume is locked and no sound comes out... and its really starting to piss me off. And no, I don't think it is acceptable to shove a toothpick into the bloody headphone jack when I spent $1200 on this laptop.

Should I bring it to my local Apple store and tell them about it? Because this is ridiculous.

2. mbestel macrumors member

Absolutely!

Hi,

You should definitely take it back to get repaired / replaced.

Just make sure that you back everything up first. Some of my clients have lost everything after Apple techs told them their disk wouldn't be touched.

Cheers,

Mark

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Is that a technical term? What do you mean? Have you looked in the Sound pane of System Preferences? What do you see in there?

4. halisray thread starter macrumors regular

If the headphone jack is not inserted - there is a red light coming out of the empty jack slot and whenever I try to put the volume up or down the volume icon shows up with a circle and a line through it you know what I mean?

sound preferences shows Digital Out - Built in Output

the sound only works when headphones are plugged in and its really super annoying. I've heard of this problem before but I really want to fix it without having to shove a toothpick into the jack slot because I paid so much goddamn money for this laptop and something as simple as volume is already messed up after like 3 months..

so do I make an appointment with the Genius Bar people? Surely I shouldn't have to pay for this? Because this is a stupid little problem that should not happen.

5. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Have you tried switching it to the Internal Speakers?

6. halisray thread starter macrumors regular

theres no option thats the thing ... all it shows is Digital Out - Built in Output

is there anything I can do? this is super annoying

7. halisray thread starter macrumors regular

i found a similar thread on the Apple support page: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=10857222&#10857222

should I make an appointment and get it fixed? I bought this machine 3 months ago and it is in really good condition - I never dropped it or spilled water on it or even bashed it, just one day it started to mess up.. I don't have Apple Care but will my 1 year guarantee cover the cost? I spent $1200 on this and the volume is messed up... I mean come on Apple.

8. halisray thread starter macrumors regular

So just to clarify - if I bought this laptop 3 months ago, then should I make an appointment with the Genius people and get it fixed? It should be under my 1 year guarantee right? because I'm not sticking a toothpick into a $1200 laptop.

9. Gregg2 macrumors 603