Vonage-Aiport Extreme Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by hyc, Jan 6, 2012.

1. hyc macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

So the setup in my house goes like this Motorola Surfboard Modem (Comcast) is connected with a blue LAN cable to the Linksys Vonage Router and then from there a grey Ethernet cable is connected to the Airport Extreme. For some reason Vonage works (so therefore it is getting internet from the modem) but the Airport extreme is blinking amber and when I go in Network Utility it says the Airport does not have a valid IP address? But I can see the Aiport network on my iMac. Also when I try to plug the Ethernet cable in to my computer it also says it doesn't have a valid IP address.

Any help resolving the issue would be awesome.

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Try flipping your setup so that the chain goes Modem>APE>Vonage. Plug your other devices into the APE too. Then look HERE for the ports to forward on the APE to allow for the Vonage box to work. HERE is how to do port ranges in Airport Utility.

3. jayhansen369 macrumors newbie

Trying to Understand Vonage Port Forwarding

Hi:

I am trying to set up port forwarding for my Airport Express for Vonage. I have a Vonage router model VDV21-VD. I am a little confused by the terminology as presented by Apple and Vonage. I am hoping someone can translate for me.

Vonage says it uses the following:

DNS: Port 53 UDP
    TFTP: Ports 21, 69, 2400 UDP
    HTTP: Port 80 UDP
    NTP: Port 123 UDP
    SIP: Port 123 UDP
    RTP: Ports 10000-20000 UDP

With that information, what would I enter into the Airport Utility port mapping screen? I realize it may sound like a basic question, but I am leery of creating unforeseen issues and ending up in tech support hell with advice to power up all the devices . . .

Thanks for any advice.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There are two steps.

First you need to find the MAC address for the Vonage device. It should be on the device itself or on the box. It will look something like 000F12AB3CDE.

[​IMG]

Now open Airport Util and get to this screen. Click the plus under DHCP reservations. Enter Vonage or whatever you want for the description, then the MAC address in the MAC address field. The IP address should already be filled in. Now save. What this does is cause that IP address to be assigned to the Vonage device every time.

Now for step to we will port forward to the IP address from step one.

Click the plus in the port settings section and you will get the screen below. Fill it in like I have it except using your IP address from step one. Save it then save the configuration to update the router.

That should do it.

[​IMG]

5. jayhansen369 macrumors newbie

Did the Trick

Thanks for taking the time to describe the resolution. I am all set. Much appreciated.

6. locklin macrumors newbie

Thanks Weaselboy,

Great tutorial!

Just one more question, we have three different vonage lines at the place I work for, may I forward those ports to three different IP addresses?

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes, you will just need to repeat those steps all the way through for each of the three Vonage devices. o when you are done you will have a separate entry for each one.

8. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

You sure about that? How are you going to forward one port to three separate IPs?

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

As I think about it, you are correct. I was thinking of just opening a port, but you are right a forward of the same port to multiple IPs won't work.

Thanks for the catch.