Vonage VoIP

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by oldhifi, Mar 23, 2018.

1. oldhifi, Mar 23, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2018

oldhifi macrumors 65816

oldhifi

Anyone use Vonage? I just disconnected my Uverse landline from because of all the scams, and solicitors.

2. HobeSoundDarryl, Mar 23, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2018

HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    A number is a number. The scammers & solicitors will call a Vonage number, a cell phone number, a google voice number, a Skype number, et all too.

If your long distance is pretty much North America, google voice offers great VOIP for free. They have relatively cheap rates for long distance to other countries too. The Google voice app for iDevices works well and enables texting capabilities too. And you might still be able to pick up an obihai device to make a google voice number work like a land line at home.

There's also still Ooma, which people seem to really like.

And good old Magic Jack.

And plenty of less-well-known VOIP providers too: https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2483780,00.asp and https://www.consumeraffairs.com/cell_phones/voip.html and many more.

Lots of choices beyond just Vonage.

You might want to check with your broadband provider too. They may have a VOIP voice service. Pair it with broadband and you may get a "double play"-type discount. If it happens to be Comcast, they've got some mobile options now too.

3. oldhifi, Mar 24, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2018

oldhifi thread starter macrumors 65816

oldhifi

Yes I know a number is a number. I had that number for over 10 years with ATT and in the last six months I was getting up to 20 calls a day from scammers, no I did not give my phone number out..

I got 31 calls in two days..

4. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Robo callers don't discriminate. They just dial, document working numbers and then hand the working number list off to any buyers. While I feel no love for AT&T, I'm practically certain they didn't throw some switch to get your spammer call volume up in the last 6 months- just coincidence.

If you haven't lost such a long-term number associated with you already, you might want to consider one of those call-blocker services or products. I was getting too many calls like that and turned on Nomorobo call blocking and that stopped almost all of it.

5. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

I'm very happy with Ooma, which does a great job blocking robocalls, thanks to their own user-sourced database as well as a seamless NoMoRobo integration.

The catch is that you need Ooma Premier to take advantage of it, which is $10/mo. Very much worth it though, for that and the other Premier features.

6. oldhifi thread starter macrumors 65816

oldhifi

I am going to try Google Voice for now and see how it goes..might go to Ooma later

and THANKS!

7. Mr. Heckles macrumors 6502

Mr. Heckles

I wish you can set up the iPhone to only let calls in that are in your contacts.

8. oldhifi thread starter macrumors 65816

oldhifi

9. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

Good luck. Solicitation calls are a major frustration.

10. oldhifi thread starter macrumors 65816

oldhifi