Voodoo2 in PM G3

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Graveyard, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Graveyard macrumors regular

After coming back from the holidays, i got some spare time on my hands to take care of some of my "old toys". I finally got a voodoo2 3d card in my PowerMac G3 B&W. I found some extensions for it on the web but it doesn't seem to work. I have MacOS 9.2.2 installed and after installing the extensions, when i boot up the system and i get the desktop, i get a warning saying something about not being able to initialise the library, voodoo environment not present or something like that. I haven't had the chance to use any games that can run on the voodoo2 card so far to see if the setup really works, but if it wasn't working, i wouldn't get the vga signal to pass through it from my p.o.v.
    Have any of you ever done this kind of setup before? The extensions i got for the voodoo card are made for os8.x not for 9. Should i try with MacOS 8.x? Do any of you have any useful links related to voodoo2 pci cards in macs? Any ideas would be great. Thank you.

2. rjcalifornia macrumors 6502a

rjcalifornia

Voodoo card... Sounds interesting :)

3. skinniezinho macrumors 6502a

Finally someone with voodoo and mac =)
    I have a pair of matched voodoo 2 12MB (SLI) and a Voodoo 3 3000 waiting for a PM G3 or very low cost G4 here.
    All files you need are here: http://www.falconfly.de/3dfx.htm
    You can get help in falconfly forum or 3dfzone.it
    I don't know if you know this, but voodoo 2 is only a 3d card, you have to connect it to a 2d card with a vga va cable just like this:
    [​IMG]

4. Lil Chillbil macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

Where did you get that diagram?

5. skinniezinho macrumors 6502a

Google images.This is from an ordinary pc with an agp slot.
    Of course for a powermac G3 you won't have a AGP video card but a PCI Video Card capable of doing 2D (maybe some ATI Rage).
    Here is shown 2 voodoo 2 in SLI mode.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voodoo2

6. Graveyard thread starter macrumors regular

The extensions i tried for the voodoo card, i got from falconfy. And of course i have a 2d card installed and connected to the voodoo2. The thing is, as i said, that i get an error message when the booting sequence is over and i get to the desktop in os9.2.2. Do you know of any games that may make use of the voodoo2 besides quake?

7. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Wow I haven't heard anyone speak of a Voodoo graphics card in a long time.

Sorry, I have nothing to actually add; I'm just getting lost down memory lane.

8. ppcfanforever1 macrumors regular

ppcfanforever1

Heres a noob question... Ready? Whats voodoo? I honestly dont know, i get the graphics card part but whats special about it?

9. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

10. cyberghoser1 macrumors member

cyberghoser1

11. Wildy macrumors 6502

They were basically the forefathers of hardware 3D graphics acceleration, ie. the graphics card industry. They were purchased by Nvidia and eventually filed for bankruptcy.

12. Graveyard thread starter macrumors regular

That video gave me the idea in the first place. But the guy doesn't say what extensions he's using with his card.

13. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

He said he's using OS 8.6. Extensions are for 8.x, so if OS 9 is no go, try 8.6.