VOP Dummy Warning

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Jennymcmillan, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Jennymcmillan macrumors newbie

Hello, I had 6 years of old video tapes of my kids growing up burned to DVDs so that I could transfer them to my Mac and edit them and make a video for upcoming family event.

Apparently the DVD is read only! Yuck. Not sure why the drug store would have done that to home movies. So I downloaded mactheripper and then when I started trying to break the read only -- I got vop dummy warnings. I clicked on pad and when I went to imovie -- there was a insert for the video -- but the video was not viewable. So the rip did not work.

I am fairly new to the mac world so I would appreciate any suggestions on what I can do here. I was really hoping to make a shorter growing up video of my kids for a future party. Thanks.

2. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

What do the warnings say? If it's read only then you should be able to just capture the video files off the DVD and edit them in iMovie. I wouldn't want to edit the originals. If there is a lot of DVDs then you should look into getting an external hard drive so you don't load up you internal one. I would look into this if you have more than 5 DVDs each DVD holds 4GB at least and can fill up your hard drive FAST!;)

Regards,
    David

3. MrLatte23 macrumors regular

Try other free Software...

MPEG Streamclip
    Handbrake or
    Mediafork.

MPEG Streamclip is my favorite because it allows for more export options, not just H.264 or mp4 which isn't good for editing. The DVD should be "read only" so you don't overwrite your movies.

If you have access to a newer camcorder that has AV-in and Firewire out, you could just plug the DVD player into the camcorders AV input. Then via firewire connect the camcorder to the computer and digitize into iMovie.

4. -DH macrumors 65816

Of course the DVD is read only. Once a DVD has been finalized, it is always READ only (except for DVD RW) - you can no longer wirte to the disc. This is true of ALL DVD-Video discs.

-DH

5. Jennymcmillan thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried Handbrake and I was able to break the read only. Thanks so much!