Vote and discussion about keep my SSD in my iMac 27"

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Kaelbron, Jul 14, 2011.

?

Keep the SSD?

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    63.6%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  1. Kaelbron macrumors member

Hello Everyone!

I wanted to write a thread to get messages from people with opinions and experience is called out of the iMac and SSD for OS X.

I have an iMac 27 "model year late 09 I've got an SSD instead of the built-in CD / DVD reader. I do not know if I experi then cut apart instant difference and I wonder how long I can imagine that the SSD that runs in OS X hold? I am so afraid that it will give up and you will have to pay out lots of money to get it fixed.

Is there anything to be worried about? How many are there who have put in a SSD myself afterwards? /
    Kaelbron

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yeesh, can anyone make their own decisions anymore?

You already have an SSD in your iMac. How does it make sense to remove it and put in another drive when you've already fronted the money for it? The simple fact is that yes, your drive will eventually break and you will have to fix it. That's true of any hard drive and any piece of electronics.

3. macgenius1 macrumors newbie

Lose the SSD, ticking time bomb if you ask me.

4. 88 King, Jul 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2011

88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

Do you have Windows installed?

There are lots good hard disk utilities to test the health of a ssd based on S.M.A.R.T reading.

I normally remove my ssd from a machine as I tend to change machines more often than I change ssd.
    But the answer will depend on the health, speed, age of your ssd and if you are willing to do the removal yourself.

SSD price have drop a lots in the last couple of years, so it could be better buying a faster ssd than pay somebody to remove you current older, slower ssd and devalue the machine.

5. Kaelbron thread starter macrumors member

Nice :)
    I have only installed OS X Snow Leopard. I have OCZ Vertex 2

6. Sansibar macrumors newbie

Please put an alert on top of your post next time, i almost fell... :cool:

7. Stan Mikulenka macrumors 6502

Hi,
    please explain what you're worrying about.
    I have 3 SSDs in 3 diff. computers, and the 1st one was in my gaming PC 1¾ YEARS AGO...
    Never had ANY probs in ANY of those SSDs - which I CAN'T SAY about the 'normal' hard drives during the same times...

8. macgenius1 macrumors newbie

I've had 3 in 3 diff computers and they have all died. Ticking time bombs...

9. Stan Mikulenka macrumors 6502

Hi,
    "Ticking time bombs... "
    you can say the same about spinning HDs...

10. CHSeifert, Jul 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2011

CHSeifert macrumors 6502

CHSeifert

Let me guess, none of your 'ticking timebomb ssd's' were from Intel ;)

Newer Intel SSD from 2009 and up are more reliable than even server based HDD's. Read a survey about it, unfortunately forgot to bookmark it. And no, it was not on Intels homepage :p

Intel SSD have VERY low failure rate, the first SSD from 2006-2008 from other companies indeed were timebombs, but not so anymore.

11. Kaelbron thread starter macrumors member

Slow response but I might be a little too anxious. We have heard much that Apple would not want you to bust a SSD on their own in their iMac. I'm worried what will happen, including the guarantee and for costs when SSDn or iMac is on its last legs. Feels like there will not be cheap.

I feel that is not my OCZ SSD Vertex is as fast as I expected suppose it is better when I reformat and reinstall Lion?

I have also heard that the SSD can not tolerate a bit much and downs do not last as long as a hard drive. What about it?

I have a OCZ Vertex 2 120 GB