MP All Models Vote: Current Mac Pro Owners

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by shaunp, Jun 12, 2019 at 12:51 AM.

?

Current 4,1, 5,1, 6,1 owners will you buy the 7,1 Mac Pro

  1. Yes

    22.7%
  2. No - I'm buying an iMac/iMac Pro

    4.5%
  3. No - I'm buying a PC

    5.3%
  4. No - I'm building a Hackintosh

    3.0%
  5. No - I'm keeping what I have

    37.9%
  6. No - I can now do all my work on an iPad

    0.8%
  7. No - Other

    5.3%
  8. No - I'll buy a Mac Mini

    5.3%
  9. Yes, but second hand at a later date

    15.2%
  1. shaunp macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2010
    #1
    What will you be buying? Now the Mac Pro has been announced, is it the machine you've been waiting for or do you have another view.
     
  2. chfilm macrumors 68000

    chfilm

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2012
    Location:
    Germany
    #2
    I think in the long term, I‘ll be upgrading from my 6.1, but not sure if I can justify it immediately, because my machine is still doing just fine, except for USB 3 :(
    The biggest issue is that I‘m being booked more and more on agency jobs where I can’t even use my own workstation, so that‘s really annoying.
     
  3. Razzerman macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2007
    #3
    I'll be keeping what I have for now, but looking to build a pc. We'll see what the future brings.
     
  4. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

    BillyBobBongo

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2007
    Location:
    On The Interweb Thingy!
    #4
    I think I’ll buy a Mac Mini, I don’t need that much processing power these days. Will build a PC, mostly for VR gaming, which will also cover my arse if I find the Mac Mini wanting.

    Although, to be fair, I’ll likely never get around to selling my Mac Pro (I'm kinda attached to it) and skip the whole Mac Mini idea. Time will tell.
     
  5. amedias macrumors regular

    amedias

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    Devon, UK
    #5
    need option "yes, but second hand in a year or two..."
     
  6. HaypurTiryading macrumors member

    HaypurTiryading

    Joined:
    May 20, 2018
    Location:
    Turkey
  7. mtasquared macrumors regular

    mtasquared

    Joined:
    May 3, 2012
    #7
    Apple is reining in the Mac Pro party by taking over the upgradeability of these machines. They control the release or withholding of drivers, and the compatibility of their OS releases. What prevents Catalina from running on cmp 5,1? Why won't they release the latest drivers for cmp 5,1 for nvidia? I'm happy with my machine as it is, which doesn't require the latest upgrades or highest power. Will the upgradeability of even the 7,1 be guaranteed to be forever? I was thinking of buying it as my last computer ever. But right now I don't think I will.
     
  8. gazzared macrumors newbie

    gazzared

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2007
    #8
    My 2008 Mac Pro is just about it. So I will be buying.
     
  9. CC88 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2010
    #9
    I own a Late 2013 MacPro with maxed out configuration like 12 core cpu, double D700, 32gb of ram and 1tb ssd.

    I will stay with it for another two or three years than I will try to find a refurbished or used nMP 2019. I need at least a 16 core machine... Will be very difficult to find one.
     
  10. Macpro2019 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2019
    #10
    It’s a big yes. I waited more than 6 years for this. I’m gonna use this more than 6 years.
    This machine is a long term machine.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 12, 2019 at 5:19 AM ---
    I assume apple is preventing 5,1 owners from updating 10.15 so they could buy newer computers.
     
  11. saulinpa macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2008
    #11
    CPU is socketed so would assume there will be a decent supply of chips on eBay as others upgrade to 20+ cores.
     
  12. slughead macrumors 68040

    slughead

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2004
    #12

    It never sat well when Apple just arbitrarily included a list of model numbers that killed the install of Operating systems. What not just have a dialog "Your machine is not supported, do you want to install anyway?"

    I remember my 2006 Mac Pro running the latest version after I did whatever hack at the time. It worked perfectly after I ditched the GT7300 (sp??), minus some obvious things like hand-off and I think air drop not working (whoopidy do).

    Their support lasted a long time, but still: they obviously have a thing against repairs and old hardware keeping people free from upgrading.
     
  13. CC88 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2010
    #13
    Hope you're right so I can buy the base model.
     
  14. mtasquared macrumors regular

    mtasquared

    Joined:
    May 3, 2012
    #14
    We Mac Pro users are like a company's worst nightmare. We want to buy the Mac just once then upgrade it with other people's parts forever. Obviously that's a bad business model. They will get their money somehow. Making the case really cool, like this one, is obviously an extremely smart move. When you lift the sheathing off the tubular frame with that handle its like taking the case off a nuclear warhead. That alone is almost worth the price. But will I buy the next one after that is the question. Technology will advance and we will have a need that we don't even foresee. 16K video. Virtual reality rooms. Life simulation. Who knows? But will the 2019 Mac Pro last and be relevant forever? Probably not, especially if Apple doesn't want it to.
     
  15. shaunp thread starter macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2010
    #15
    the bigger question is, will there be a next one after that? Apple reluctantly created the 2019 Mac Pro, let's see how often they update it? I reckon they will cancel it and state 'insufficient sales', without looking at what customers were buying instead.
     
  16. SillySammy macrumors newbie

    SillySammy

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2018
    Location:
    USA
    #16
    There is really no need for me to upgrade at this point. I can just grab a newer 2TB NVME drive for my 2013 about the time I need to swap out the clock battery next year.
     
  17. pl1984 macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2017
    #17
    At some point a manufacturer has to stop supporting older products. The 5,1 has had a good run but it's approaching 10 years in age (save for the 2012 release). I believe Apple has a published support schedule for their systems (though I can't recall if it applies to just hardware or hardware and software). I really like my 5,1 Mac Pro but I do think almost 10 years is a pretty good run for hardware.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 12, 2019 at 9:23 AM ---
    Is it preventing? Or not supporting? The former I would object to, the latter is common for businesses and older equipment.
     
  18. ssgbryan macrumors 6502a

    ssgbryan

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2002
    #18

    I would have upgraded to an updated 5,1 if they had made one. When apple made the cube, they kept right on selling PowerMacs.

    At the end of the day, Apple doesn't want my business - and they aren't going to get it, because I'll be moving out of the Apple ecosystem (and taking everybody in the family with me.)
     
  19. Mac Gus macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2013
    Location:
    New York City
    #19
    I've owned my 2009 Mac Pro since I purchased it new from Apple. I've upgraded it many times and it has served me for 10 years. It has been a fantastic computer. I'd like to squeeze a couple more years out of it until Apple no longer provides Mojave security updates and then I'll consider buying a new Mac Pro and hoping that it will last a dozen years like my current one will. I'd be happy to use my 2009 Mac Pro indefinitely as it doesn't have a problem editing 4k video which is all I need it for.
     
  20. mcnallym macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2008
    #20
    Only having a 6 core Mac Pro then finding that slowed over the years as software took toll.
    Bought back in 2013 when using mini 2009 and mbp2008 so was a big boost over that.
    As a non pro user then the price is well above what want to pay and not overly happy to use the iMac.
    So a z390 / i9 9900k rx580 hack for me.
    Will just to keep an eye on how apple go with the t series and see if end up trying to lock out hack but this should last a while for me.
     
  21. Zwhaler macrumors 604

    Zwhaler

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2006
    #21
    Keeping my 5,1 12 core 2.93GHz with 48GB, RX 580 8GB, lots of storage, 55" 4K screen and LED Cinema display. The 12-core rendering capability still meets my needs. Disabling hyperthreading was a small bummer, and it is no longer the best. But I'd rather wait for an updated iMac Pro or better yet a new Mac Pro with PCIe 4.0 when it matures, cheaper internal storage, etc. I would also consider a used 2019 Mac Pro down the line with 16 core minimum. My machine realistically meets my needs for now.
     
  22. crjackson2134 macrumors 601

    crjackson2134

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2013
    Location:
    Charlotte, NC
    #22
    Yes, I'll be buying one... BUT... Not right away, and not as a replacement. I'll be keeping my perfectly fine MP5,1 for a very long time, and adding a 7,1 to my collection.
     
  23. jdasikainen macrumors 6502

    jdasikainen

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2016
    Location:
    Bald Knob Arkansas
    #23
    for now im happy with my i7 8700 hackintosh but definatly once its been out 3 4 years and the price goes down to say $1500 $2000 lower preferablly it will b in my hands still plan on buying a 5,1 soon too though
     
  24. Porco macrumors 68030

    Porco

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2005
    #24
    I voted "No - Other".

    I still don't know what I'm going to replace it with yet, so I couldn't pick another option (I guess it might end up being any one of a few of them). I've spent (not literally every hour! but...) the last 10 days going round in circles considering what will be suitable the least bad option. There will be unfortunate compromises whatever the answer is, which is kind of my feelings about Apple all over these days - when they're great they're great, when they're not they're just the least bad option. *sigh*. I remember when they just felt like the best option.

    Still feeling quite disappointed about the whole situation.
     
  25. krishnaM macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 26, 2014
    #25
    I am happy with my updated 4.1-5.1 cMP which I owned since 2009. What problems to expect if I continue to use it after Apple stops osx updates? I may get a mini or iMac if it is not safe to use without osx updates.
     

Share This Page

31 June 12, 2019