vote to upgrate from 3G to 3GS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by peace lake, Jun 30, 2009.

1. peace lake macrumors newbie

I want to buy an iphone, but dont' want to spend much money so that I make up this thread.
    Technical products launch in the market everyday, or every month, want to try them all, but unluckly, my buget is limited, so please be kind to tell your use experience to me, or other people plans to buy a new iphone.

is it really necessary to upgrate to 3GS? leave "yes" / "no", and a command of your view.
    Thanks alot.

2. Maverick713 macrumors 6502

wow and people tell me I have bad grammar!

3. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

If you budget is "limity", you have no business dropping coin on a new phone if your current one works.

WANTS do not equate to NEEDS

4. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Yes, but will it blend?

I'll ignore your grammar and just assume that English is not your first language, so I'll help the best way I can.

The iPhone 3Gs, personally, is a great upgrade to the 3G.
    HOWEVER, if your budget is limited, I think you would be better to just keep your 3G until your financial situation improves. There are more important things in life than a spec upgrade.

If you insist on getting one though, get the 16GB and save yourself 100$ USD. If money is tight but you want the phone that badly, do yourself a favor and consilidate your medai library and get a 16GB. I love my 16GB and have plenty of storage still.

I think you should hold off and save your "limity" amount of money and put it towards more important things.

Also, consider adding a poll to your post. :)

5. darngooddesign macrumors G3

If the hardware improvements alone aren't enough to answer that question for you then Id say wait until next year. A new case will make a far more compelling reason for you to upgrade.

6. jshelton macrumors 6502a

Eh?

7. peace lake thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you everyone, :D sorry made many grammar mistakes.

well, I dont' have an iphone yet, but want to buy one, the reasons are:
    1 play Mp4
    2 play msn
    3 make international calls
    4 browse email sometimes

an ipod costs $100-+, so that I think it's better to buy an iphone.

8. ericxd macrumors regular

...as if ur old phone cannt make international calls lol

9. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

10. mark34 macrumors 6502a

You people are unbelievably rude. Have you considered that English may not be his first language, or other reasons that would make you even more insensitive. His points are clear. How about you just help him out?

To me the main reason by far is speed. I am impatient and I am much more apt to grab my iPhone and truly use it productively knowing that when I press the calendar button my calendar will show up instantaneously, for example. I do also like the improved camera and the video. Not to mention and extra 16GB means I can carry a far larger percentage of my music collection around and more video.

Is it a must? no. As usual it just depends how much the price hurts. For the upgrade price to me it was a no brainer. For the full price I would have waited.

Mark

11. matttye macrumors 601

The iPhone is a very fun toy and internet device, but the battery isn't that great. I use my Nokia 5800 on 3G the way I used to use my 2G iPhone, and I have about 45% battery left around the same time my iPhone used to die.

The 3Gs has not improved on the speakers that the 3G had, so I doubt I will be buying an iPhone with this iteration. Apple needs to sort out the hardware.

12. christyn macrumors 6502a

For some people it made sense to upgrade, some it didn't. The speed is the biggest reason to switch.

I'm not at this point. I don't qualify for the full discount until December, and December is half way to the next iPhone so it doesn't really make sense for me. For what I could sell my 3G for, I could probably get most of what it would cost me to buy the 3GS, but I'm going to be closing on a house 2 months from today... and while I could afford to pay the difference, I'd rather keep the money at this point just to be safe.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It really depends on your needs and budget.

If the new features on the 3GS are something that you can use, and your budget isn't limity then upgrate.

Only you can answer this question, but given the short list of improvements on the 3GS, it may not be a good fit for all current 3G owners. Personally I took the plunge and upgraded but that's because the better camera and video capability were important features for me.

14. joro macrumors 68020

joro

If you’re budget is limited why would you consider shelling out the cash to buy a new, non-essential, product? I would think you would better suited saving that money up and then buying it a few weeks/months down the road that way you don’t strap yourself.

15. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You don't even have the 3G, yet your OP implies you're asking if upgrading to the 3GS from 3G is worth it on a limited budget. I take it you're asking about deciding between the $99 3G and the $199 3GS? Yes, it is, given that the data plan will cost you the same. Find that extra $100 somewhere. However, if you can't afford the data plan on your limited budget it's another story.

16. Jon-Luke macrumors 6502

Jon-Luke

Get an iPhone - It will double as an iPod (MP3 Player) as well as a Video player. And with the amount of free apps available to download on iTunes you will be amazed at the value and versatility of the handset - it truly is not just a phone. It may be an expensive outlay, but you will not reget it.

If you are asking if you should go for the $99 option (The 3G) then I would say absolutely, its good value in comparison to the 3GS versions. And put this in your pipe and smoke it - if you were to buy an iPod Nano you would also be able to play videos and have 8GB of memory but you would be paying $149 for the honor, and the 8GB iPod touch? $229 - Yes you will have to have a contract etc... but you are going to have to do that anyway with another phone unless you choose one of the pay as you go options

I say get the iPhone!

;):apple:

17. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I disagree. The 3GS absolutely smokes the 3G in speed and the extra $100 upfront is pretty much irrelevant compared to the thousands of dollars you'll pay in data plan. So the question is, can the OP even afford the data plan on his limited budget?