Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

voxlogo-250x250.jpg
Apple has inked a deal with Vox for Vox to become a part of its upcoming subscription service that will be available in Apple News, reports Bloomberg.

Vox is owned by Vox Media, which also owns the Verge, Recode, Eater, and SB Nation, but Apple's deal is only for the Vox site for now. Vox does not have a subscription offering at the current time, but Vox CEO Jim Bankoff recently said that paid subscriptions would be added to the Vox site later this year.

Apple News subscribers who sign up for Apple's paid service, set to be called Apple News Magazines, will be able to access a variety of magazines and paywalled news from participating publishers.

Rumors have suggested Apple plans to charge around $9.99 for the service, with the Cupertino company keeping 50 percent of the fee while splitting the rest of the fee among publishers.

The Wall Street Journal and many magazine publishers have signed up to participate, but other news sites like the Washington Post and The New York Times have declined.

Apple plans to unveil its new Apple News Magazine service at an event that will take place at 10:00 a.m. Pacific Time on March 25.

Article Link: Vox Signs on to Join Apple's News Subscription Service for Future Paid Tiers

mrr

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
I love eater.com. I can’t eat without it!

If I read between the lines, eater.com which is free now, might be headed for a paywall. If so, then i might have more incentive to subscribe.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
If I read between the lines, eater.com which is free now, might be headed for a paywall. If so, then i might have more insentive to subscribe.
Moving free content behind a paywall and making the current free version of the News app almost useless is not the right approach to this. But knowing Apple, that's probably exactly what will happen.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Just because Vox does publish with a slant doesn't mean they don't publish facts on which they base opinions. Punishing Vox for having an editorial slant is like punishing the WSJ for having an editorial slant. What's the point? Neither one of them is a fact-free zone.

Not to detract from discussion of Vox and its prospects with a future paid tier, but what will be interesting to me to see over time is how the WSJ changes up its new subscriber promotions outside of what it does with Apple news. Same with Bloomberg if they ever go Apple News. Once in awhile you can catch Bloomberg now offering a better temporary promo rate to a former subscriber than they offer in their banner ads hoping to get a new subscriber... as usual though, it pays to look at the fine print. So far of course I've been a direct subscriber to my news sources but I'll be keeping an eye out for how direct subs will fare on promo rates after these outfits sign on for Apple news partnerships.

I could go for a Vox sub depending on what kind of writing they plan to charge for in this upcoming tier. Sure I'm a partisan and lean in their direction. But, I have no problem subscribing to a journal that leans left, right or aims for down the middle. I won't pay for or bother reading trash though. I don't find even the free Vox trashy, although it's not my go-to for top of day news every morning. They do cover a lot of ground, check facts and respond to legit requests for correction of their factual reporting. What's not to like? Take the facts and leave the opinions behind!

Andronicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2008
Just because Vox does publish with a slant doesn't mean they don't publish facts on which they base opinions. Punishing Vox for having an editorial slant is like punishing the WSJ for having an editorial slant. What's the point? Neither one of them is a fact-free zone.

Not to detract from discussion of Vox and its prospects with a future paid tier, but what will be interesting to me to see over time is how the WSJ changes up its new subscriber promotions outside of what it does with Apple news. Same with Bloomberg if they ever go Apple News. Once in awhile you can catch Bloomberg now offering a better temporary promo rate to a former subscriber than they offer in their banner ads hoping to get a new subscriber... as usual though, it pays to look at the fine print. So far of course I've been a direct subscriber to my news sources but I'll be keeping an eye out for how direct subs will fare on promo rates after these outfits sign on for Apple news partnerships.

I could go for a Vox sub depending on what kind of writing they plan to charge for in this upcoming tier. Sure I'm a partisan and lean in their direction. But, I have no problem subscribing to a journal that leans left, right or aims for down the middle. I won't pay for or bother reading trash though. I don't find even the free Vox trashy, although it's not my go-to for top of day news every morning. They do cover a lot of ground, check facts and respond to legit requests for correction of their factual reporting. What's not to like? Take the facts and leave the opinions behind!

I’d say there is a pretty big difference between Vox and WSJ.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I’d say there is a pretty big difference between Vox and WSJ.

But see that's why I picked WSJ as the other dude in my example. A fact is a fact... doesn't have to be a financially significant one. And the WSJ has its lighter moments. I miss the old WSJ with the long reads on the front page, but I appreciate its foreign coverage and the book reviews are different to the ones offered by the more left-leaning papers of record like WaPo or NYT, so it's nice to have the mix. Vox is my choice over some news aggregation site like Yahoo for politlical coverage and some pop culture tracking.

Reactions: Sasparilla

acgmph

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2015
Around the world
There are only two publications I would pay Apple a monthly sub for: FT and the Economist. Everything else doesn’t seem to be worth it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.