Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Err, I'm running VPC 6 on an early G4 iBook an it claims to get about the equivilent of a 300MHz processor when it's emulating. Does this figure mean anything? Is it just an arbitary number or would it increase in accordance with a faster processor? Is it simply a ratio of the host computer's own clock speed? What sort of figures is everyone else getting? And finally, is the number significantly higher on VPC 7?

Thanks for any info.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
The reported MHz doesn't really mean anything. As far as I know, the emulated CPU doesn't report its speed to Windows, so Windows performs a few speed tests. The result will vary depending on what else the computer is doing at the same time.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
mad jew said:
Just to add to the question a little, does the type of processor being emulated change from version to version of VPC?
Even it does, its effect would be on software compatibility and not performance.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Thanks for the replies, that's good to know that the MHz are probably related to how well my Mac is running VPC. It means I can work out what affects it the most/least and configure it all properly. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.