Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Free From PC

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2003
Hendersonville, TN
I have a file on VPC that I either need to print or copy to the MAC side so I can print it there. I have tired printing without luck. I can't get online on the VPC side so I can't get the files needed for the printer I am using.

So I tried to create a backup of the file to a disk but it says the drive is not ready. So I saved the backup to the desktop and tried to copy the file to the D drive. Trying to open the D drive from My Computer says it's not accesible and trying to drag the file from the desktop says there's no disk in the drive when in fact there is.

Anyone have any suggestions? For either problem. Printing or getting the file to the MAC side.

Thanks in advance.

Free

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Show Windows in a Window :)

Then Drag the file in Windows to your Mac Desktop. Problem solved.

Other way, using the Shared Foler option in a VPC menu (not sure which) share the Mac HD as Drive Z:. Save file onto Drive Z:. Done.

TEG

Free From PC

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2003
Hendersonville, TN
If only life were that simple.

First: Thank you for replying.

Second:
I can't drag a file from the windows to the desktop of mac. It doesn't let me drag a file out of the VPC at all. Is there something I need to turn on to let me do this? I have no control over the other "Side" when I am in VPC or vise versa. I have to tab between the VPC and Mac.

As for the shared folder, I can't find it. There is nothing in preferences for it.

Free

cpjakes

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2003
Buffalo, NY
I believe that dragging things between the desktops is an "addition" to VPC. Hold down the Apple key in fullscreen or select the icon on the bottom left that looks like a puzzle piece (in windowed mode) and select "install additions." I think that should fix it. Otherwise, shared folders should definitely work.

Forgot that you couldn't find the shared folders... it's in "Settings" in the VPC list.

cpjakes

Free From PC

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2003
Hendersonville, TN
THANK YOU

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You.

You have no idea how much this has helped. Now that I have the additions I can print from the VPC side so I don't need to drag the file over and convert it to mac (Which was my orignal plan). Now I can print and get online from VPC. You don't know how many times I have posted on this board looking for help with VPC. This has been the most helpful thus far!!!

Again Thank YOU!!! Both of you TEG & cpjakes, THANK YOU

Free

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.