Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Flyinace2000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 28, 2004
We recently moved to London, but before i left i set up a SL Server running VPN service in my dad's basement and his 20/20 fiber service :-D

What is the best way to connect devices to that VPN service that don't have VPN clients of their own.

In london i have one or two DDWRT Linksys wireless routers and a GS running Leopard server (to host files for Boxee and Plex). My main router is a Airpot extreme.

My main concerns are the Xbox 360 and maybe Hulu. Basically is there a good way to route all traffic from Hulu/Pandora through the VPN?

Thanks!

Will

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
Best thing to do would be to replace your internet facing router with one that has a VPN Client built in, in this case all the NAT'ed devices behind the router will 'appear' to be on the network at your fathers using his Fibre connection.

Flyinace2000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 28, 2004
Best thing to do would be to replace your internet facing router with one that has a VPN Client built in, in this case all the NAT'ed devices behind the router will 'appear' to be on the network at your fathers using his Fibre connection.

That would work, but sometimes i want my devices to have UK IP addresses as well (iPlayer). I was thinking of using the G5 PowerMac to handle DHCP and routing possibly setting up rules for certain domains to be routed over the VPN connection.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
You might be able to do that; I never tried it.

Keep in mind your browsing and gaming speed may be severely diminished by using a VPN combined with your upload speed. All you can do is test and see if it works.

etchtech09

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2010
Flashing a router with Tomato/DD WRT/Open WRT would also do the trick.

Open WRT is probably the easiest, but if you check their wiki's you can find plenty of information.

tunerX

Suspended
Nov 5, 2009
Your VPN client and server would have to support split tunneling. You would setup the server to provide routes that must go through the server and routes that go directly to the web.

This is pretty static you cannot automagically have the xbox go one way when you want to then the other way when you feel like it. You would need to adjust routes on your server to adjust the traffic flow.

sandywatson33

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2012
Combination between VPN Client and Server

This is right. It is necessary that your server and VPN client must be perfect as it can help to make good setup between your routes and servers. The combination of perfect server and VPN client leads to the web.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.