VPN and AirPort Extreme (TC)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by iJny9956, Feb 7, 2014.

1. iJny9956 macrumors member

Hi,

I have a problem(s)...

The entire house is running behind an AirPort Extreme (TC). My Wife works form home and her set up is the following:

Internet > AirPort > Firewall > IP Phone + Windows Desktop.

For the phone and pc to connect to her work network I had to enable teredo tunnels and open up ports UDP 1723, TCP 500 + 4500 on the ape and assign that to the static Ip dedicated to the firewall. All is well she can use her phone and connect to work network no problems!

--

Problem 1:

We have a VPN server at home. that uses the following TCP ports: 1701, 500, 4500. so in this case 500, 4500 are taken by wifes work. :mad:

I know i have options to port forward on certain things like ftp afp etc, and i can assign external ports and internal ports which ape takes care of is there anyway to do the same for VPN?? I cant really mess with work related stuff so.

--

Problem 2:

my vpn service runs from a NAS, once i establish a connection i can do pretty much everything. (this is without wife's work computer of course) only thing i can't access is my itunes home share which runs on an old 1st gen mac mini 10.5. If i connect to vpn and have another machine running as itunes server how do i access home share?:confused:

Please help!! I hope all this made sense.

2. Alrescha macrumors 68020

1) You have two NAT devices in series. I recommend you pick one. It is not clear what the firewall brings to this configuration.

2) Your wife's use of an IPSec VPN client and your IPSec VPN server are always going to be mutually exclusive (probably).

3) If you are using the VPN you should should be able to reach any IP address on the same network as your VPN server; if your iTunes server is on a different network, your VPN configuration needs to reflect that. Note that broadcast traffic (which makes lots of things visible on the network) does not pass over the VPN.

A.