VPN and Apple TV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Cave Man, Sep 8, 2007.

1. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Feb 12, 2007
    Neander Valley, Germany; just outside Duesseldorf
    Just a heads-up; VPN will knock Apple TV off your network. Should have known this, but hadn't experienced it until today when I had to link into my university's computer system.
  2. macollin macrumors newbie

Feb 9, 2009
    Sorry for bumping such an old thread. I was curious if there is a workaround for this. I use a VPN to log in to work and once I do that it prevents me from streaming to my airport express or my apple tvs. My PC that I log in to the VPN is the one that runs iTunes. I have a 1TB external USB drive hooked directly to that PC that contains my music. I am curious if there is anything I can do with the setup of my PC so that streaming is still available when logged into my work VPN. Or, if I should look into an alternative means of streaming for my external drive such as a NAS running iTunes.

Thanks in advance.
  3. d21mike macrumors 68040

Jul 11, 2007
    Torrance, CA
    I don't use a VPN so I am not sure. But I think the problem is that normally your pc is on a local ipaddress (like 192.168.1.nnn) and when you connect to your VPN your ipaddress changes. Check this out by checking the status of your connection (I usually use ipconfig/all at the dos prompt). With that in minde I think you might be able to resolve the problem by using 2 Network Cards (or 1 wired and 1 wireless). Again, I am not sure but maybe that is a place to start searching before buying a second computer.
  4. markfc macrumors 6502a

Sep 18, 2006
    Prestatyn, Wales, UK
    I use secureremote from checkpoint, when I'm not using the VPN just tools > disable security policy