VPN apps?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MattRyder8840, May 25, 2013.

1. MattRyder8840 macrumors newbie

Hi all, does anyone know of a decent VPN app? my friends use xpatshield but it isn't available for mac :s i know there is loads of them about but they all seem so complicated and such an effort, does anyone know of a good one? i dont mind paying....

thanks

2. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I use Witopia. It is easy to use and inexpensive. I use it 100% of the time I am using any public hotspot... or actually, andy hotspot that is not controlled by me personally. My most common usage is during my frequent travels.

When I am gone from my house... I enable it to start and connect automatically at login.

They have different pricing depending if you want SSL or PPTN capability. I buy both in a bundle for $70/yr. SSL is better overall, so I use that for my Mac's. SSL is not supported by IOS, so I use PPTN for my iPhone/iPad.

/Jim

3. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

OS X Server ($20, Mountain Lion required) has a VPN service. I've been using Snow Leopard Server's VPN for over 3 years now with no problems.

4. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Talmy,

Interesting. So when you are remote (ex at starbucks)... your connection is back to your house through a secure tunnel... and then out on the WAN to your ISP? What is the VPN client that runs on the remote machines? Do you travel internationally and is the performance OK?

Also... Does is support PPTN, L2TP, or IPSec which as of now, seem to be the only protocols supported on IOS devices?

I've been wanting to add a home server using a Mac Mini... but have been procrastinating.

/Jim

5. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Mountain Lion has it built in, you don't need Server. Maybe for the target, but not for the client. I use it all the time to VPN into work.

6. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

The connection is secure. Presumably it is possible to get all traffic to go through the connection, which gives totally secure browsing when you are in a public spot, but I haven't looked into that. It works fine with iOS devices as well as Macs using the built-in clients.

No international travel.

Check out http://almy.us/server.html where I talk about my experiences installing a mini with Snow Leopard Server. The process has become much simplified since then (at a reduction in flexibility).

You can search for and manually install VPN server software, but it's far easier to just buy OS X Server. If you are willing to have a third party intermediary, there is Yazsoft ShareTool which has the advantage of tunneling Bonjour services. I've tried it, but I'd rather not be dependent on an external service.

7. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Good read.

Thanks for the detailed report.

/Jim

8. kgs macrumors regular