VPN between Mac and Windows? I've googled for hours!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by CrossFireXT17, Aug 17, 2008.

1. CrossFireXT17 macrumors member

Hey everyone, I'm out at college and am contently moving around with my macbook pro. I have a Windows XP SP2 Pro connected in my dorm. I have my external Hard Drive, as well as my printer. I have all my music and videos stored on my external hard drive, so I'd like to be able to connect to it from wherever on campus, but obviously they have a lot of servers so I think they are on 2 different servers, which makes nonworking basically impossible or a true headache!

So I'm looking into VPN between the 2, which I know is both technically possible, and both can "run" VPN servers. But I have no idea how to set it up for what I need. I've googled and searched this forum and can't find anything for my specific case, so I figured next step would be to post a topic!

ANY help would be amazing!

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

You're trying to share out the external drive on Windows to access it on your Mac?

3. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

VPN probably wouldn't be the best option for this. I use VPN more for connecting to an entire network so i can connect to many different machines. As it stands for Virtual Private Network. Thats not to say it can't be used just for one computer to another. I think there are better options. Like VNC for example. Really depends what your goal is. If VNC doesn't accomplish what you want i am sure we can find something else.

4. CrossFireXT17 thread starter macrumors member

correct my harddrive and printer are connected to my WinXP computer
    I want to be able to access and use them on my mac wirelessly