Vpn Client App

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by s2smooth4u, Aug 24, 2008.

1. s2smooth4u macrumors regular

Is there a app that allows you to connect to a VPN server. My school wireless is controlled by that. Everytime i try to get the internet on my phone while using wifi i get directed to download VPN client.

2. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

VPN is built in to your iPhone. Settings --> General --> Network --> VPN

3. s2smooth4u thread starter macrumors regular

4. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

Actually, the iPhone doesn't cover every type of VPN. It doesn't cover my University networks, though from what was said about update 2.0, I thought it would bve able to deal with any VPN connection.

So, the question is still up in the air:
    Anyone up for making a true -blue VPN app?

5. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

Impossible to do with the SDK as the application would need to run in the background and that is not allowed.

6. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

Darnit. Well, maybe I could speak o the techs at my uni about this and see if I'm doing something wrong.

It's a PPPOE connection that seems to go in between the Airport and the VPN. ANy advice here would be appreciated?
    Dan x

7. hhlee macrumors 6502

talk to your school IT, they should be able to set up an 802.1x which is "enterprise wi-fi" and will log you into the vpn. my school usually requires the cisco VPN as well.

8. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

Oh snap, if I knew it was that easy, i'd have done it already. I'll get in touch with them asap. thank you so much.

9. kyleaa macrumors regular

My school requires the Cisco VPN, but Cisco VPN is built into the iPhone, so you shouldn't need a workaround for this... Though I may have had to go through some reverse engineering to get the group secret they used for authentication.

10. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

that may well be what I need to do, since that 'secret' is the wall I always come against. I haven't tried it properly there since 2.0, as I've been off for summer since. But I will as soon as I'm back and will follow the advice given here.
    Could I ask how you got the secret?
    Dan x

11. kyleaa macrumors regular

If your school ships an installer package, doing 'Reveal Package Contents' will let you access the connection profiles (I am sure these are also stored somewhere after the install, I just haven't gone looking). The .profile file, if opened in TextEdit, will reveal a long encoded version of the password. I had to google around for a site that could decrypt the Cisco password format.