Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bleepjay

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
I'm having an issue with the latest version Airport Extreme Base Station (Firmware v. 7.7.3) where I cannot connect to a windows 2003 VPN (RRAS Server).

I've bypassed my AEBS, and the connection will go fine (via PPTP), but as soon as I go through the AEBS, it never goes through. Something is being blocked at the AEBS.

Has anybody gotten through this issue before?

Background: I just upgraded this AEBS to latest version and it was working before on previous version AEBS. I reverted back to that setup, and it wasn't working anymore. Nothing seems to have changed but it no longer works (with new or old AEBS).

Last edited:

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I'm having an issue with the latest version Airport Extreme Base Station (Firmware v. 7.7.3) where I cannot connect to a windows 2003 VPN (RRAS Server).

I've bypassed my AEBS, and the connection will go fine (via PPTP), but as soon as I go through the AEBS, it never goes through. Something is being blocked at the AEBS.

Has anybody gotten through this issue before?

Background: I just upgraded this AEBS to latest version and it was working before on previous version AEBS. I reverted back to that setup, and it wasn't working anymore. Nothing seems to have changed but it no longer works (with new or old AEBS).

Did you have to forward ports on the old setup? If so you will need to update your configuration on the new AirPort to support this.

bleepjay

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
I'm pretty sure I didn't have any ports forwarded, and I used the Airport Utility upgrade wizard, which brought over all of the settings.

I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have to forward any ports on a passthrough though.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I'm pretty sure I didn't have any ports forwarded, and I used the Airport Utility upgrade wizard, which brought over all of the settings.

I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have to forward any ports on a passthrough though.

That's right. Clients should just work through the router.

There's a 3 year old thread here with the same issue. The solution was to use the VPN server's actual IP address.

bleepjay

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
I tried that, but still get stuck here:
Code:
The PPTP-VPN server did not respond. Try reconnecting. 
If the problem continues, verify your settings and contact your Administrator.

Also, trying to connect via a Windows 8 VPN Connection, I get an error 800.

I can't even telnet to the PPTP port on the server either. It's getting blocked somewhere. When I plug directly into the modem, it works fine.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
This is not an uncommon problem according to a search.

Someone wrote that it might be a conflict in IP addresses...if the VPN DHCP IP range is the same (or overlaps) the one on the AE.

Is that the case with your VPN and AE?

bleepjay

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
No, I already tried that. It doesn't overlap, but I even tried it and changed it.

Weird thing is, it was working with my 5th Gen AEBS, but after setting up the new one and it not working, I plugged the old one back up, and it didn't work then.

I've been able to connect to some anonymous VPN PPTP services, but not MS RRAS VPN

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
No, I already tried that. It doesn't overlap, but I even tried it and changed it.

Weird thing is, it was working with my 5th Gen AEBS, but after setting up the new one and it not working, I plugged the old one back up, and it didn't work then.

I've been able to connect to some anonymous VPN PPTP services, but not MS RRAS VPN

I am not too familiar with VPN setup as I am just beginning work in the network field (I'm 16). Perhaps this may be of some use to you...

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
This is probably worthless information, but with no configuration I can connect to a CISCO VPN through my 4th gen Airport extreme with no configuration on my part (though I guess the Airport allows configuration by clients automatically on my end...which I guess is how my Xbox stuff works with no port forwarding too...I guess...)

macaddictmike

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2015
I was having the same problem and when I did an nslookup on name for the VPN site, it appended the internal domain and returned an address which you could only get once you're connected to the VPN. The Airport Extreme was caching the address and assigning it a bogus DNS name. For my connection at home, I set the DNS server to Google's public DNS of 8.8.8.8 and then I could connect to VPN off my corporate Windows laptop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.