VPN downside???

Discussion in 'macOS' started by StarShot, Jun 5, 2017.

1. StarShot macrumors 6502a

StarShot

Recently I configured my computer via a VPN (virtual private network) and wondering what/if the downside is to be accessing the internet with this method?

Yesterday I got blocked on my hotmail account because it said I was in Amsderdam while I'm actually in Seattle.

2. QzzB macrumors regular

QzzB

It would depend on the VPN service you use. VPN encrypts the connection from your device to the VPN gateway. Your ISP won't be able to see what your doing, but it is possible that the gateway is logging all this information - so use a trustworthy VPN.

Due to the encryption involved, VPN can have a bit of a speed overhead - all of the data from your computer to the VPN gateway is encrypted/decrypted. IF you have a slow connection or a poor gateway this can cause pages to load slower.

They are the only "downsides" I can think of. when it comes to VPN, it isn't really a Upside or Downside technology. Its there for a need. If you want a added layer of security or remotely working, they are the only real reasons to use VPNs over just a standard connection.

3. cookies! macrumors 6502

Speed (after a certain point) and sometimes latency. I'm on a fiber connection and for websites that can provide 50-100mbps or more in download speed are slower since most VPN connections/locations cap out at that.

This obviously depends on the VPN provider.